Roanoke County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than half a dozen family history books and articles have been published about Roanoke County's families.
- Main article: Roanoke County, Virginia
Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
The Virginia Room at the Roanoke Public Library includes Surname Files. A list of families in this collection is available at the library's website.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Roanoke County families include:
- Prillaman, Helen R. A Place Apart: A Brief History of the Early Williamson Road and North Roanoke Valley Residents and Places. Baltimore, Md.: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 2007. Available at Virginia Historical Society. Watts, Garst, Harshbarger, Betts, Oliver, Read, Williamson, Nelms, Moomaw, Bushong, Nininger, Petty, Fellers, Andrews, Bowman, Coulter, Epperley, Prillaman, Hansbrough, Hunt, Riley, and Woodson families.
Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Brown] Martin, John Robert. Berryman Brown of Roanoke County, Virginia and Clinton, Dade and Ozark Counties in Missouri. St. Joseph, Mo.: J.R. Martin, 1957. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 B812mjr.
- [Burwell] Hardy, Stella Pickett. Colonial Families of the Southern States of America. New York: Tobias A. Wright, 1911. Digital version at Google Books - free.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Roanoke County Duncans.
- [Goggin] Bell, James E. Mark Twain and 8100 Goggin Kin. Rich Hill, Mo.: Bell Books, 2001. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [McClanahan] Williams, Katharine Kearsley. The McClanahans of Augusta and Roanoke counties, [Va.]. 1983. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Oliver] Watson, Walter A. Notes on Southside Virginia. Richmond, Va.: D. Bottom, Superintendant of Public Print., 1925. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Peyton] Peyton, John Lewis. Memoir of William Madison Peyton, of Roanoke: Together with Some of His Speeches in the House of Delegates of Virginia, and His Letters in Reference to Secession and the Threatened Civil War in the United States, etc., etc.. London: J. Wilson, 1873. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Reynolds] Adair, Ethel Marr. Family Group Records Collection; Patrons Section; Reynolds and Related Families of Roanoke Co., Virginia Miscellaneous Family Group Records. Microfilmed 1956. FHL Film 284730.
- [Spessard] Rhodes, Phillip Wayne. "Descendants of Thomas Love of Lynchburg and Amherst County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1991):83-91; Vol. 35, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1991):190-198; Vol. 35, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1991):269-283; Vol. 36, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1992):16-27; Vol. 36, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1992):89-102; Vol. 36, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1992):194-206. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 35 (1991)-v. 36 (1992).
- [Womack] "Achilles Womack," Virginia Appalachian Notes, Vol. 4, No. 2 (1980):8-20. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- ↑ Online Catalog, Virginia Historical Society, accessed 15 November 2011, http://www.vahistorical.org.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More