Roanoke County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Roanoke County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than half a dozen family history books and articles have been published about Roanoke County's families.
- Main article: Roanoke County, Virginia
The Virginia Room at the Roanoke Public Library includes Surname Files. A list of families in this collection is available at the library's website.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Roanoke County families include:
- Prillaman, Helen R. A Place Apart: A Brief History of the Early Williamson Road and North Roanoke Valley Residents and Places. Baltimore, Md.: Reprinted for Clearfield Co. by Genealogical Pub. Co., 2007. Available at Virginia Historical Society. Watts, Garst, Harshbarger, Betts, Oliver, Read, Williamson, Nelms, Moomaw, Bushong, Nininger, Petty, Fellers, Andrews, Bowman, Coulter, Epperley, Prillaman, Hansbrough, Hunt, Riley, and Woodson families.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Brown] Martin, John Robert. Berryman Brown of Roanoke County, Virginia and Clinton, Dade and Ozark Counties in Missouri. St. Joseph, Mo.: J.R. Martin, 1957. FHL Collection 929.273 B812mjr
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Roanoke County Duncans.
- [Goggin] Bell, James E. Mark Twain and 8100 Goggin Kin. Rich Hill, Mo.: Bell Books, 2001. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [McClanahan] Williams, Katharine Kearsley. The McClanahans of Augusta and Roanoke counties, [Va.]. 1983. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Peyton] Peyton, John Lewis. Memoir of William Madison Peyton, of Roanoke: Together with Some of His Speeches in the House of Delegates of Virginia, and His Letters in Reference to Secession and the Threatened Civil War in the United States, etc., etc.. London: J. Wilson, 1873. FHL Collection; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Reynolds] Adair, Ethel Marr. Family Group Records Collection; Patrons Section; Reynolds and Related Families of Roanoke Co., Virginia Miscellaneous Family Group Records. Microfilmed 1956. FHL Collection 284730
- [Womack] "Achilles Womack," Virginia Appalachian Notes, Vol. 4, No. 2 (1980):8-20. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- ↑ Online Catalog, Virginia Historical Society, accessed 15 November 2011, http://www.vahistorical.org.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback