Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(CW Data from Excel)
(Standardized presentation of companies)
|Line 245:||Line 245:|
*[http://usgwarchives.net/ky/military/wwi/ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY] ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
*[http://usgwarchives.net/ky/military/wwi/ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY] ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
===== Civil War =====
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)]],
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union)]], A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I J
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)]], A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I J
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)]], A, B, C
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union)]],
:- [[2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)|2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union)]],
==== Miscellaneous ====
==== Miscellaneous ====
Revision as of 02:05, 9 October 2013
Guide to Rockcastle County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rockcastle County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1810|
|County Seat||Mount Vernon|
Rockcastle County Kentucky Courthouse
Rockcastle County Kentucky History
1874--A disaster destroyed many of the records.
Rockcastle County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Boone||Gum Sulphur||Mullins||Sand Springs|
Rockcastle County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Rockcastle Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Rockcastle County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Rockcastle County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Rockcastle County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Rockcastle County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Lair, John and J. Allen Singleton. Rockcastle Roots: Informal Histories of Families of Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Mt. Vernon, Ky.: Polly House Pub., 1992. FHL Book 976.9623 D2L
- [Clark] Clark, Lily May McLemore. Wallis Clark, Sr. of Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Mount Vernon, Ky.: Rockcastle County Historical Society, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 C547cLL
- [Cummins] Funk, Frances. Cummins Ancient, Cummins New: A History of the Cummins Family of Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Washington, D.C.: McGregor and Werner, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 C912a
- [Harper] Harper, Joseph Doyle. The Harper's of Pulaski and Rockcastle Counties, Kentucky:A Genealogical and Historical Narrative. Livingston, Montana: The Shields' Valley Publishing Co., 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H231hh
- [Hasty] Hasty, Warren H. Archibald Hasty and Descendants: of Pulaski & Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Minneapolis, Minn.: W.H. Hasty, 2004. FHL Book 929.273 H279hwa
- [Johnson] Yates, William Allen. Johnson Genealogy: Descendants of George W. Johnson of Scott County, Virginia and Rockcastle County, Kentucky and Descendants of Benjamin Johnson of Smyth County, Virginia. Stevensville, Montana: W.A. Yates, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 J632y
- [Owen] Owens, Charles Sterling. David Owen, Revolutionary War Soldier, and His Descendants Wilkes County, North Carolina to Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Knoxville, Tenn.: C.S. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2owc
- [Rogers] Irwin, Lyndon N. The Rogers Family of Paint Lick and Crab Orchard: Ancestry and Descendants Joseph and Ellen Steward Rogers of Garrard, Rockcastle, and Lincoln Counties in Kentucky. Bois D'Arc, Missouri: L. Irwin, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 R632i
- [Wallins] Heflin, Donald L. The Wanderin' Wallins from Henry County, Virginia, to Rockcastle County, Kentucky. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 W158h
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I and J.
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Companies A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J.
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Veteran Cavalry (Union), Companies A, B, and C.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1855-1959 - Will Books (1855-1959) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Rockcastle County Tax Lists, 1811-1875, are available for purchase as digital images in PDF format on CD from Jeff Renner's Genealogical Resources. When the PDF files are viewed in a program such as Acrobat Pro you can bookmark pages/images with year changes, ancestors names, etc. You can also drag an image/page out of Acrobat Pro and throw it into Photoshop to enhance viewing or you can just save that extracted page/image to be used as an attachment to your ancestor in whatever Record Manager (ie: Legacy, RootsMagic, etc) program you use.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1860 - Rockcastle County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C517921 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Rockcastle County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517922 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Rockcastle County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517923 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1860 - Rockcastle County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M517921 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Rockcastle County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517924 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Rockcastle County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517925 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Rockcastle County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Rockcastle County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Rockcastle KYGenWeb
- Rockcastle County USGenWeb Archives
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Rockcastle County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Rockcastle County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rockcastle County, Kentucky page 274, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.