Rowan County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Rowan County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rowan County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||March 15, 1856|
Rowan County Kentucky Courthouse
Rowan County Kentucky History
1864--A disaster destroyed most of the records.
Rowan County Kentucky Places/Localities
Rowan County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- The KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc
[*KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
- http://tpettit.best.vwh.net/rowan/family-pages.html Rowan County Family Pages]
Relatives of Truby Petitt & Florence Hall of Rowan County, Kentucky
*Sorted by Name, Rowan County, Kentucky
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Rowan Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Rowan County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- ePodunk list of Rowan County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Access Genealogy-Rowan County Kentucky Cemeteries
- KYGenWeb Archives Project-Rowan County Cemetery Records
- Linkpendium-Rowan Co., Cemeteries
- Rowan County Cemeteries
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Rowan County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see Kentucky Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See Kentucky Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Kentucky Court of Justice-Rowan County Office of the Circuit Court Clerk
Local histories are available for Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- 1895 U.S. Atlas- Rowan County Kentucky 1895
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soldiers from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Rowan County Genealogy Trails Vietam War Casulaties
- http://www.archive.org/stream/listpensionerso02buregoog#page/n487/mode/1up List of Revelutionary War Pensioners]
- USGenWeb Archives Project-Rowan County Kentucky Military Records
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- The Morehead News
- Rowan County Bulletin
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Lane/Stucky/Gray Funeral Home Obituraries
- USGenWeb Archives Project-Rowan County Kentucky Newspaper Records
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1853-1971 - Will Books A to B (1853-1971) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1856-1861 - Rowan County Birth Index 1856-1861. Batch C517931 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874-1875 - Rowan County Birth Index 1874-1875. Batch C517932 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Rowan County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517933 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1859 - Rowan County Marriage Index 1856-1859. Batch M517931 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Rowan County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517934 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Rowan County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517935 at FamilySearch - free.
- Kentucky Marriage Project-Rowan County
- KYGenWeb Archives Project-Rowan County Vital Records
- Rowan County Births
- Rowan County Deaths
- Rowan County Marriages
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Rowan County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Rowan County Historical Society
P. O. Box 60
Morehead, KY 40351
- Rowan County Public Library
185 East First Street
Morehead, KY 40351
Family History Centers
Rowan County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Rowan County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb Archives-Rowan County
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- KYGenWeb-Rowan County
- Rowan County KY Genealogy Forum
- Rowan County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Rowan County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Rowan County, Kentucky page 275, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.