Royal Peculiar Court of St Katherine's by the TowerEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the London Probate Records page.
Location of Records of This Court
London EC2V 7HH
Tel 020 7332 1862 / 020 7332 1863
'Textphone 020 7332 3803'
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to the "Probate Records of This Court" (below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Principal Probate Registry or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to this probate court's records; then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admons also on microfilm via any family history centers near you.
London has a small peculiar jurisdiction granted to an important church within diocese of London which claimed immunity from the bishop’s jurisdiction. Called a Royal Peculiar, St Katherine's by The Tower [of London] claimed exemption from all jurisdictions except that of the sovereign. It lies immediately east of the City of London but is considered to be in the county of Middlesex, even with its close proximty to the City proper.
Probate records of the Royal Peculiar Court St Katherine's by the Tower held jurisdiction over its own premises, including St Katherine's Hospital.
Records of these probates--includes original as well as registered wills. These records date from as early as 1698.
Several of London and Middlesex probate jurisdictions are well-covered with indexes; look in this section in each court jurisdiction to find valuable indexes to London's probate records.
- A comprehensivep will and admon index for nine London and Middlesex's probate jurisdictions--including the Royal Peculiar of St Katherine's by The Tower is found in Dr. David Wright's will index for 1750-1857 on CDs for sale; for surnames A-F; enquire with him for costs to do lookups for surnames beginning with G-Z at a set fee.
Original Handwritten Indexes
Calendars to the Probate Acts of Wills and Administrations (Admons) exist from 1698-1804. Calendars are a kind of index (of the first letter of each surname) to the probate records and admons (administrations).
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
The Family History Library has will calendars which are available on microfilm at the Family History Library covering the years as above mentioned 1698-1804 and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers. Search the online Family History Library Catalog under the "Keyword Search" and type in "Royal Peculiar Court of St Katherine's by The Tower"), or just go to this Family History Library Catalog page.
Searching for probates in this court
POWERS OF ATTORNEY & ORIGINAL WILLS 1690-1710
BOOK IN TESTAMENTARY CAUSES 1583-1584
Strategies, Tips, Other?
There are some indexes for this court. See the above general countywide indexes online (see "online Indexes) and possible other indexes available.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "London Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for London Probate Records.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback