Ruabon, Wrexham

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Civil Records: update)
(int links)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''Ruabon''' (Welsh: ''Rhiwabon'') is an ancient parish in the north-east of [[Portal:Wales|Wales]], between Wrexham, Llangollen and Oswestry. Until 1974 Ruabon was in the ancient county of [[Portal:Denbighshire|Denbighshire]], and between 1974 and 1996 it was part of the newly formed county of Clwyd. Since 1996 it has been part of the County Borough of Wrexham
+
'''Ruabon''' (Welsh: ''Rhiwabon'') is an ancient parish in the north-east of [[Portal:Wales|Wales]], between [[Wrexham]], [[Llangollen]] and Oswestry. Until 1974 Ruabon was in the ancient county of [[Portal:Denbighshire|Denbighshire]], and between 1974 and 1996 it was part of the newly formed county of Clwyd. Since 1996 it has been part of the County Borough of Wrexham
  
 
== History ==
 
== History ==

Revision as of 16:47, 30 September 2008

Ruabon (Welsh: Rhiwabon) is an ancient parish in the north-east of Wales, between Wrexham, Llangollen and Oswestry. Until 1974 Ruabon was in the ancient county of Denbighshire, and between 1974 and 1996 it was part of the newly formed county of Clwyd. Since 1996 it has been part of the County Borough of Wrexham

Contents

History

Substantial remains of Offa's Dyke (Welsh: Clawdd Offa) can be seen on the western outskirts of Ruabon. This massive earthwork, stretching from Chepstow in the south to Prestatyn in the north, was constructed in the late 8th century by Offa, King of Mercia, as a boundary between Saxon Mercia and Celtic Wales. Traces of an earlier dyke, Wat's Dyke, can be seen on the eastern side of the Ruabon. It would be several centuries before Ruabon and the lands to the east of Offa's Dyke would be returned to Wales.

The name is derived from the Welsh Rhiw Fabon, or "hillside of Mabon", a local saint. An older English spelling, Rhuabon, can sometimes be seen.

The ancient parish of Ruabon was made up of the townships of:

  • Ruabon (which also included the hamlets of Belan, Bodylltyn, Hafod, and Rhuddallt)
  • Cristionydd Cynrig (also known as Y Dref Fawr or Cristionydd Kenrick in English)
  • Coed Cristionydd
  • Dynhinlle Uchaf (also known as Y Dref Fechan or Cristionydd Fechan)
  • Dinhinlle Isaf
  • Morton Anglicorum (the “English Morton” or Morton Below the dyke)
  • Morton Wallichorum (the “Welsh Morton” or Morton Above the dyke).

In 1844, Coed Cristionydd and part of Cristionydd Cynrig became part of the new parish of Rhosymedre; and Cristionydd Fechan and Moreton Above became part of the new parish of Rhosllannerchrugog. Later in 1879, Dynhinlle Uchaf and the remainder of Cristionydd Cynrig became the new parish of Penycae.

The Wynnstay Arms Hotel

The area was, for centuries, under the influence of nearby Chirk Castle and, later, the Williams Wynn family of Wynnstay in Ruabon.

The Ruabon area was formerly heavily industrialised with large deposits of iron, coal and clay. Iron was worked in Gyfelia and Cinders as far back as the Middle Ages but heavy industry dominated the entire parish in the 18th and 19th centuries. Hafod Colliery, the last working colliery in the Ruabon coalfield, closed in 1968.

Iron was worked at Ruabon; Acrefair; Cefn Mawr and Plas Madoc; and zinc at Wynn Hall. In 1867 Robert Graesser, an industrial chemist from Obermosel in Saxony, Germany established a chemical works at Plas Kynaston in Cefn Mawr to extract paraffin oil and wax from the local shale. This was the start of the long association between the chemical industry. The site was later acquired by the American chemical company Monsanto, their first venture in Europe.

Much of the mineral wealth of the area was exported by canal over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Shropshire Union Canal, until the railway reached Ruabon in 1855.

Ruabon sat on vast deposits of clay. At Afongoch there were three clay companies very close together: "Monk & Newell", the “Ruabon Brick & Terra Cotta Ltd." or "Jenks' Terracotta Works" (or "Gwaith Jinks") and the "Tatham Brick & Tile Works" or "Afongoch & Tatham Tileries". At Hafod, the Cornish engineer Henry Dennis founded a clay works next to the Hafod Colliery. The Dennis company became world famous for its tiles but closed in 2008. Other large brickworks existed at Pant, Rhosllannerchrugog, Acrefair and Newbridge.

Today the village of Ruabon is a suburb of the town of Wrexham.

Census Records

The parish of Ruabon formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.

Year Parts
1841 missing
1851 HO107/2503 folios 15 to 378
1861 RG9/4280 folios f9 to end
RG9/4283 folio 80
1871 RG10/5652 folios 17 to end
RG10/5653 folio 189
1881 RG11/5512 folios 11 to end
RG11/5514 folio 124
1891 RG12/4612 folios 8 to 179
RG12/4613 folio 168
1901


Church Records

The following Ruabon Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth:

Baptisms 1559 - 1945
Marriages: 1599 - 1964
Burials 1559 - 1963

There are no official records available on the IGI for Ruabon parish.

Nonconformist Church Records

The following chapel records from Ruabon parish are available on the IGI:

Chapel Years Batch Number
Providence Calvinistic Methodist, Ruabon 1832-1837 C101751
Independent Chapel, Ruabon 1814-1837 C101731
Bethlehem Independent Chapel ("Capel Bychan"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1831 C101761
Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist ("Capel Mawr"), Rhosllannerchrugog 1810-1837 C101871
Cefn Wesleyan Methodist, Cefn Mawr 1815-1837 C101611
Particular Baptist, Penycae 1789-1837 C101901


Civil Records

The parish of Ruabon formed part of the Ruabon sub-district of the Wrexham Registration District and any entries for births, marriages or deaths from 1837 in Ruabon will appear as Wrexham in the GRO Indexes in volumes XXVII (1837-51), 11b (1852-1946) or 8A (1946-74).

Poor Law Union

The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Ruabon formed part of this.

A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham, Wrexham.

The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.

See also

External links

Gotoarrow.png Return to the Denbighshire Portal page
Gotoarrow.png Return to the Wales Portal page