Ruan MajorEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ruan Major, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
RUAN MAJOR (St. Ruan), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 8 miles (S. S. E.) from Helston. 
The parish is named for its patron saint Ruan or Rumon and called Major to distinguish it from its smaller neighbour, Ruan Minor (once, Ruan Parvus). These parishes share their patron saint with another Cornish parish, Ruan Lanihorne.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ruan Major parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ruan Major Parish Online Records|
||1681-1708, 1755-1835, 1838-1903||
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 200
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241261.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., [|A Topographical Dictionary of England] (1848), pp. 707-711. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ "Ruan" in Mills, A. D. (Anthony David) (2011). A dictionary of British place-names. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-960908-6. Published online (2011-2012) eISBN 9780191739446. Accessed 24 October 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More