Russell County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Russell County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
Russell County Courthouse
P O Box 969
Phenix, Alabama 36868
County Health Department has birth and death records
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records
Judge of Probate has marriage probate and land records. 
1832--Russell County was created 18 December 1832 from the Creek Cession of 1832.
County seat: Phenix 
- Chattahoochee County, Georgia
- Muscogee County, Georgia
- Stewart County, Georgia
- Cemetery Records of Jefferson and Walker Counties, Alabama. Salt Lake City, Utah: The Society?, 1945. Digital version at Ancestry ($). Includes Piney Grove Cemetery (Phenix City, Ala.).
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Russell County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Russell County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Russell County p. 39. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).