Rutland County, Vermont GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Rutland County Vermont genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rutland County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 22, 1781|
|Address|| Rutland County Courthouse|
83 Center Street, Rutland, VT 05701-4017
Rutland County Website
Secretary of State Office, Montpelier has birth, marriage, and death records 1760-1955 and divorce records 1760-1968; Town Clerks have land records from 1826; County Clerk has land records 1779-1826 and court records; Probate Court has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Fair Haven 1779,
Middletown Springs 1784,
Mt. Holly 1792,
Mt. Tabor 1761,
West Haven 1792
- Created 22 February 1781 from the Colonial lands. 
Places / Localities
Land and Property
There are two Rutland County Probate Districts
- Rutland District - Brandon, Chittenden, Clarenden, Danby, Ira, Mendon, Middletown Springs, Mount Holly, Mount Tabor, Pittsfield, Pittsford, Rutland, Sherburne, Shrewsbury, Tinmouth, Wallingford and West Rutland.
- Fair Haven District - Benson, Castleton, Fair Haven, Hubbardton, Pawlet, Poultney, Sudbury, Wells and West Haven.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library catalog for Rutland County
- The Rutland County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Rutland County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 6999 Rutland County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.