Salesbury, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Salesbury St Peter was created a chapel of ease created in 1809 from, and lying within the boundaries of Blackburn St Mary, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
This completely rural parish descends northwards to a secluded and wooded reach where the River Ribble falls over shelving rocks. The Old English name is 'Salebyry', dating from 1246 AD and 'Salewelle' dating from 1296 AD. As well as St Peter’s Church, The Memorial Hall, Salesbury School and Salesbury Cricket Club, Salesbury contains the residence of the Bishop of Blackburn, known locally as the Bishop's House.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"SALESBURY, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4½ miles (N.) from Blackburn; containing 399 inhabitants. In the reign of Edward II. a charter for free warren in this manor was granted to Sir Robert de Cliderhou, whose daughter occurs as owner of the manor in 1406. Isabella, her daughter, conveyed the manor in marriage to John Talbot, of Bashall. Their son was instrumental to the betrayal of Henry VI., whose apprehension is said to have occurred here, though Leland fixes the scene in Cletherwoode. However this may be, letters-patent were granted to him by Edward IV. for a pension of twenty marks out of the duchy revenues. In this odious service, Sir James Haryngton was the principal actor, and the Talbots his subordinate agents. John Talbot, the last male heir of the family, left a daughter, married to Edward Warren of Poynton, from whose family the manor passed by marriage: it now belongs to Lord de Tabley. The Hall of Salesbury is at present a ruin. The township, which lies in the valley of the Ribble, is interspersed with woods and copses: the road from Preston to Clitheroe passes through. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn; net income, £120 per annum. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, was repaired in 1844."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 1-4. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51252 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback