Saluda County, South Carolina
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 218:||Line 218:|
== Societies and Libraries ==
== Societies and Libraries ==
== Web Sites ==
== Web Sites ==
Revision as of 16:08, 29 January 2011
|This South Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Saluda County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
Location of South Carolina in the U.S.
|Founded||February 25, 1896|
Saluda County's civil records start the following years:
Saluda County Courthouse
100 E. Church St.
Saluda, South Carolina 29138
100 E. Church St., Suite 4
Saluda, SC 29138
Probate and marriage records
Clerk of Court
100 E. Church St., Suite 6
Saluda, SC 29138
Court and land records
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
HistorySaluda River, which flows through Western South Carolina.
"Rotating Formation South Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1682-1987) may be viewed for free at the My South Carolina Genealogy website. They rely on AniMap 3.0 software.
|Bleases Crossroads||Emory||Jones Crossroads||Ridge Spring|
|Chapmans Crossroads||Eulala||Lake Murray Shores||Saluda|
|Celestia (hist.)||Fruit Hill||Limp||Speigner|
|Colemans Crossroads||Good Hope||Merchant (hist.)||Traus|
|Corinth (hist.)||Hibernia||Mount Willing||Ward|
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: Saluda County, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 federal population schedules of Saluda County are available online. For tips on accessing census records online, see South Carolina Census. If you're having trouble finding your ancestors in online indexes, try checking printed indexes. Created by local experts familiar with the area's families, these indexes are often transcribed more accurately than online nationwide indexes.
See South Carolina Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Surname indexes to Leonardo Andrea's Files | Folders | Resources are available online, courtesy: The Andrea Files: South Carolina Genealogical Research. Learn more.
- The Family History of Saluda County 1895-1980, Saluda, South Carolina. n.p.: Inter Collegiate Press, [1980?]. FHL 975.738 D3f
- Saluda County, SC Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Saluda County, SC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- [Hendricks] Frontier Hendricks Association. Hendricks/etc. in South Carolina Backcountry Elsewhere than in Forks of Broad and Saluda--After the Revolution [Unauthorized]. FHL 929.27305 H385hf
- [Jones] Phelps, Dallas LeRoy. Descendants of William A. Jones of Edgefield and Saluda County, S.C. 2003. FHL 1573699 Item 109
- [Langford] Langford, George Shealy. Langfords in America Sketches on Early Arrivals and Migrations: Genealogical Recording on Descendants from Early Saluda River, South Carolina Families (Lexington, Newberry, Saluda and Old Edgefield Counties), 1773-1975: Some Related Families [of] Holley, Waters, Shealy, Timms, Robertson. College Park, Md.: Langford, 1977. FHL 929.273 L263a
- [Long] Evans, Eytive Long. A Documented History of the Long Family, Switzerland to South Carolina, 1578-1956, Including Allied Families a Documentary Record of the Long (Lang) Family of Newberry, Edgefield, and Saluda Counties, South Carolina, Including Many Allied Families. 1956. FHL 929.273 L85e
- [Merchant] Phelps, Dallas LeRoy. The Merchant-Padgett Family of Edgefield and Saluda County, South Carolina. Camden, S.C.: D.L. Phelps, 2008. FHL 929.273 M535pda
- [Padgett] Paget, James Suddath and Dallas LeRoy Phelps. Watson-Smith-Padgett Families of Edgefield and Saluda Counties, South Carolina. 1995. FHL 1750833 Item 19
- [Padgett] Phelps, Dallas LeRoy. The Merchant-Padgett Family of Edgefield and Saluda County, South Carolina. Camden, S.C.: D.L. Phelps, 2008. FHL 929.273 M535pda
- [Smith] Paget, James Suddath and Dallas LeRoy Phelps. Watson-Smith-Padgett Families of Edgefield and Saluda Counties, South Carolina. 1995. FHL 1750833 Item 19
- [Watson] Paget, James Suddath and Dallas LeRoy Phelps.Watson-Smith-Padgett Families of Edgefield and Saluda Counties, South Carolina. 1995. FHL 1750833 Item 19
Plats For State Land Grants 1784-1868
This series consists of recorded copies of plats for state land grants for the Charleston and the Columbia Series with their certificates of admeasurement or certification. All personal names and geographic features on these plats are included in the repository's On-line Index to Plats for State Land Grants
The South Carolina Constitution of 1790 required the surveyor general to maintain offices in both the new capital at Columbia and in Charleston. The surveyor general began to use separate volumes for recording plats in his Columbia office in 1796. Before that, all plats were recorded in the set of volumes begun in Charleston in 1784. After 1796, most plats for land grants in the Upper Division of the state were recorded and filed in Columbia. The surveyor general chose to make the Columbia volumes a continuation of the state plat volumes begun in Charleston and gave the initial Columbia volume the number thirty-six to correspond with the number of the volume that had then been reached in the Charleston series. As a result, there are volumes numbered thirty-six through forty-three from each office, but the records in them are not duplicative.
Also included are the Plan Books containing Plats and Plans.
- "Veterans list, (sel.)," Genealogical Roots and Branches, Winter 2001, Volume 22, Issue 4. Old Ninety-Six Chapter : Greenwood, SC.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Saluda County, SCGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Saluda County, South Carolina Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ "List of counties in South Carolina," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).