San Diego California FamilySearch Library
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added additional closure date.)
(updated free PAF link)
|Line 130:||Line 130:|
=== PAF - Free! ===
=== PAF - Free! ===
Use the following link to download the [
Use the following link to download the [://familysearch.org// FREE Personal Ancestral File genealogy program.] the PAF program for language and research needs. The default PAF version for the San Diego California LMS Family History Center is PAF version 5. For more information about PAF, [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Ancestral_File please click here.]
=== Sources ===
=== Sources ===
Revision as of 22:15, 1 July 2012
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Director, R. Edwin Jones
Hours and Holidays
Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 10a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesday and Thursday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
CLOSED Sunday and Monday
Closed holidays in 2012: March 31, July 3 and 4, October 6,
November 22-26, December 22, 2012 to January 3, 2013.
In San Diego at 4195 Camino Del Rio South on the east side of the building with ample free parking. We are located across the street from the Penske Truck Rental Center.
For Google map, click here (GPS location: 32.777407,-117.103357)
Buses: For San Diego MTS public transport Route 18, click here. The bus stop is at 4141 Camino Del Rio South, about 225 feet west of the Church parking lot.
- 38000 Microfilm roll
- 76000 Microfiches
- 11,000 books, magazines & Publications
- 420 compac discs (Cds)
SLC FHC Access via on-line ordering system
- 2.4 Million Microfilm rolls
- 742,000 Microfiche
On-site Premium Internet Access
- Ancestral File database of more than 36 million names linked into families.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI) contains approx 600 million names
- IGI Extraction Addendum: More than 125 million names extracted from original birth, death, marriage and christening records worldwide.
- Pedigree Resource Database contains more than 80 million patron submitted names linked into families
- 36 computers
- 11 Microfilm Readers
- 3 Microfiche Readers
- 2 microfilm/fiche Printers
- 2 Digital Microfilm/fiche Scanners
- 3 Multi-use printers & Copiers
- Orientation Research & Classroom Areas
- Paid Institutional connections to Ancestry.com, Footnote.com plus other premium sites
Youth Program Assistance
Family History Activities for Children: 12-? - Curiousity is part of human nature regardless of age. While learning about one's environment and history is accomplished through schooling, discovering one's family heritage can be a fantastic, fun-filled journey made together over time.
See also: Family History Activities for Children: 3-11
Young Women Personal Progress - You have a noble responsibility to use your strength and influence for good. Let us help you acheive your Personal Progress goals. Faith Value Project: Take a family history class at the Family History Center, and collect stories of your relatives or others who have demonstrated faith. You may also interview family members or others and record their names.
See also: Personal Progress Award.
Duty to God - The LDS Duty to God Certificate Requirements:
Deacon - Family Activities: 4. Keep a written record of your family history. Ask a parent or the ward family history consultant to help you prepare a 4-generation pedigree chart. Priest - Family Activities: 9. Submit the names of one of your ancestors for temple work or write a 500-word personal history.
See also: Duty to God Award.
Boy Scout Merit Badge in Genealogy - We can help you accomplish your BSA goals for this subject. Please prepare carefully and call us for assistance.
- The Computer Genealogy Society of San Diego (CGSSD) provides a list of area resources and Genealogy Organizations and Societies in the San Diego area. The CGSSD also provides a local news letter.
- The San Diego Genealogical Society has a genealogical library of over 9,000 books. This includes many copyrighted books that will not be digitized in the ongoing effort by the Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- The California State Archives and Libraries provides access to California births, marriages and death records.
- The San Diego County Library system has an area of computer genealogical support within the 33 branches of the County Library system.
- The San Diego Public Library system has a large Genealogical Section in its main Library downtown and computer genealogical support in all of its 35 City Library branches.
Latter-day Saint collections
- Church History Library, Salt Lake City, LDS history 1830-now: diaries, manuscripts, Church records, photos, oral history, architectural drawings, pamphlets, newspapers, periodicals, maps, microforms, audiovisual material
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers, SLC, the Museum displays artifacts, and the History Department collects and preserves about 100,000 histories of pioneers who set out for, settled, or were born in Utah by 10 May 1869.
- Utah State Historical Society, SLC, family histories, photographs, books, manuscript collections, telephone directories, maps, newspapers, yearbooks, and periodicals are available in the Research Center and online.
We offer both individual and group instructions in a variety of genealogical subjects. We offer classes covering the following subjects:
- Getting Started/Collecting/Organizing/Searching the Internet
- Locating Books & Films using the familyserch.org Library Catalog
- Understanding the function of Desktop Icons
- Using ancestryinstitution.com
- European Research (England, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Spain, etc.)
- Mexico Research
- African/American Research
- Capturing images using Print Screen
- Using new.familysearch.org
- Personal Ancestry Files (PAF)
- Pluses & Minuses of DNA use in genealogy
FHC online Portal
Use the following link to go to the general Family History Center online portal for Genealogical Resources, Classes & Workshops & One-on-One Assistance.
PAF - Free!
Use the following link to download the FREE Personal Ancestral File genealogy program. Select the PAF program for language and research needs. The default PAF version for the San Diego California LMS Family History Center is PAF version 5. For more information about PAF, please click here.
- ↑ "Church History Library and Archives" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [Internet site] at http://www.lds.org/churchhistory/library (accessed 18 October 2008).
- ↑ "Pioneer Museum" and "History Department" pages in International Society ~ Daughter of Utah Pioneers [Internet site] at http://www.dupinternational.org/ (accessed 18 October 2008).
- ↑ "Research Center and Collections" and "Collections Available at the Research Center" in Utah State History [Internet site] at http://history.utah.gov/research_and_collections/index.html (accessed 18 October 2008).