San Juan County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
San Juan County Courthouse
PO Box 466;
Silverton, CO 81433-0466
County Treasurer has birth records from 1880 and death records from 1901;
County Clerk has marriage records from 1880, military records from 1941 and land records;
Clerk District court has divorce, probate and court records.
- Before 1861 the extreme east-central edge of this modern Colorado county on the east side of the Continental Divide was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Guadalupe County).
- 7 November 1861 the name was changed from Guadalupe County to Conejos County.
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing San Juan County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Land and Property
Societies and Libraries
Silverton Public Library
Silverton, CO 81433
San Juan County Historical Society
1569 Greene Street
Silverton, CO 81433
Family History Center
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 101, San Juan County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- ↑ Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- ↑ Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- ↑ Handybook, 97, Conejos County, Colorado, and 99, Guadalupe County, Colorado.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Guadalupe County, Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_County,_Colorado_Territory (accessed 23 June 2012).
|This Colorado-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More