San Patricio County, Texas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to San Patricio County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|San Patricio County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||March 17, 1836|
San Patricio County Courthouse
400 W Sinton Rm 105;
Sinton, TX 78387-0578
County Clerk has birth records from 1893,
death records from 1903, marriage records
from 1858, probate records from 1847,
court records from 1876 and land records from 1848
Settled in 1830 by colonists under a Mexican colonization contract obtained by James McGloin and John McMullen.
1836--San Patricio was created 17 March 1836 from an old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Sinton 
See an interactive map of San Patricio County border changes.
1846,1867,1888--Many records were destroyed by fires.
Places / Localities
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- San Patricio County Cemeteries ~ transcriptions ~ TXGenWeb Archives Project
- San Patricio County Cemeteries ~ transcriptions ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for San Patricio County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- San Patricio Biographies and History ~ TXGenWeb
- San Patricio County Landmarks ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Civil War Indigent Families ~ TXGenWeb
- Korean War Casualties ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Pension Applications Index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as San Patricio County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Patricio+county+Texas+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a San Patricio County, Texas Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- San Patricio County Obituaries ~ TXGenWeb
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas or How to order Texas Vital Records
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred, ordered electronically online or download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
Ed & Hazel Richmond Public Library
110 N Lamont St
Aransas Pass, TX 78336
Phone: (361) 758-2350
Ingleside Public Library
2775 Waco St
Ingleside, TX 78362
Phone: (361) 776-5355
Mathis Public Library
103 Lamar St
Mathis, TX 78368
Phone: (361) 547-6201
Odem Public Library
516 Voss Ave
Odem, TX 78370
Phone: (361) 368-7388
Bell/Whittington Public Library
2400 Memorial Pkwy
Portland, TX 78374
Phone: (361) 777-0921
Sinton Public Library
100 N Pirate Blvd
Sinton, TX 78387
Phone: (361) 364-4545
Taft Public Library
503 Green Ave
Taft, TX 78390
Phone: (361) 528-3512
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
- San Patricio County Archives ~ TXGenWeb Archives Project
- San Patricio County ~ TXGenWeb
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog .
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), San Patricio County, Texas. Page 673 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).