Sand Hutton, Yorkshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Sand Hutton is today, an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Yorkshire, created in 1753 from Thirsk, Yorkshire Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Claxton. Originally, and for historical research purposes it was created as a chapelry within the ancient parish boundaries of Thirsk.
The village and civil parish of Sand Hutton is in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire and is largely owned by the Church Commissioners. See Claxton and Sand Hutton website
The ruins of the former church of St Leonard are within the churchyard of St Mary which was built in 1842 to replace the older parish church. The ruins of St Leonard have been designated as a grade II monument British listed building
St Mary has been designated as a Grade II listed building British listed building.
The Sand Hutton group of 10 churches form the modern benefice in the diocese of York.
Here is an excellent historical prospective by the famous topographer Samuel A. Lewis (1848)
"HUTTON, SAND, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. ridingof York, 3 miles (W.) from Thirsk; containing 309 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Records from the Ryedale registration district held at the North Yorkshire Registration Service are included in the online index available at Yorkshire BMD for post 1837 events; view the coverage table to check progress on the availability of index search.
- Church of England marriages.
- Civil Marriages at register offices, or non-conformist churches where a registrar was required to be present at the ceremony.
- Authorised Person marriages. These cover the non-conformist places of worship which applied to keep their own registers as a result of the Marriage Act, 1898 (bringing them into line with Jewish and Quaker marriages which had this status since 1837). In such cases an 'Authorised Person' (usually the minister or priest) recorded the ceremony instead of the registrar. Earlier weddings in these places would be included with civil marriage registers.
A secondary index of Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD however this secondary index may omit the event and may not contain the detail of the Yorkshire BMD index
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|JMI = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|AO = Archive.org|
|SAND HUTTON PARISH (1634) Indexes|
|FS||1634-1640, 1661-1681||1634-1639, 1661-1681, 1800-1846 (various yrs.), 1862-1886||None|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464228.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 594-598. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51057