Sanilac County, Michigan GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sanilac County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sanilac County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||September 10, 1822|
|Address|| Sanilac County Courthouse|
60 W Sanilac Ave.
Sandusky, MI 48471
Phone: (810) 648-3212
Sanilac County Website
Sanilac County; 60 W Sanilac Rd., Rm 203; Sandusky, MI 48471; Ph. 810.648.3212 Details: (Attached to Oakland, St. Clair & Lapeer Cos prior to organization 31 Dec 1849) (Co Clk has b rec from 1860, d rec from 1867, m rec from 1849, div & ct rec from 1854; Pro Ct has pro rec; Reg of Deeds has land rec) www.rootsweb.com/~misanila/
1822--Sanilac County was created 10 September 1822 from St. Clair County and unorganized territory. It was attached to Oakland, St. Clair, and Lapeer Counties prior to organization 31 December 1849. County seat: Sandusky 
1880 Census:Michigan = Sanilac County is missing about 1,600 people.
Civil War service men from Sanilac County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment)that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Sanilac County.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
- Sandusky District Library Genealogy Page
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).