Santa Barbara County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Santa Barbara County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|County Seat||Santa Barbara|
|Address|| Hall of Records|
1100 Anacapa St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
|Named for: Saint Barbara|
Santa Barbara County Courthouse
105 E Anapamu Rm #204
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Superior Court has divorce, probate, court and naturalization records
Recorder has birth, marriage, death and land records from 1850
Santa Barbara area Native Americans were first contacted by several early explorers in the 1500s and 1600s but the first moves toward settlement by Europeans were Spanish in 1769. The Santa Barbara mission was founded in 1786 by Franciscan padres who were also the first record keepers.
18 February 1850: Santa Barbara was created as an original county when California first became a state. 
1 January 1873: Ventura County was set off.
The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names. Information about the cemeteries can be found in these pages if known.
- Foxen Canyon Cemetery, Santa Maria
- Lompoc Evergreen Cemetery, Lompoc
- Santa Barbara Cemetery, Montecito
For tips on accessing Santa Barbara County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Santa Maria
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Lompoc California Family History Center
- Santa Barbara California Family History Center
- Santa Maria California Family History Center
- Solvang California Family History Center
Santa Barbara Mission archives contain early births, baptisms, marriages and deaths.
For a large number of early marriages see Western States Marriage Index.
- Santa Barbara County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Santa Barbara County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL CollectionHandybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
|This California-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More