Santa Clara County, California GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Santa Clara County Courthouse
70 W Hedding St 1st Floor
San Jose, CA 95110-1768
County Recorder has birth and death records from 1873
Recorder has birth and death records from 1873,
marriage records from 1850, land records from 1846
and military records from1920 County Clerk has divorce,
probate and naturalization records
18 February 1850: Santa Clara County was created as an original county. County seat: San Jose 
May 18, 1931: Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Santa Clara County list of cemeteries
- Alta Mesa Cemetery, Palo Alto
- Madronia Cemetery, Saratoga
- Santa Clara Cemetery, Santa Clara
- Santa Clara Mission Cemetery, San Jose
Please refer to populated places for individual cemetery information.
For tips on accessing Santa Clara County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records: Gilroy, Los Gatos, Naglee (San Jose), Palo Alto, San Jose and Willow Glen (San Jose).
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Los Altos California Family History Center
- Milpitas California Family History Center (San Jose)
- San Jose California Family History Center
- Santa Clara California Family History Center
The website for the Office of the Clerk-Recorder for Santa Clara County has information about how to request birth records. They have births after 1873.
The website for the Office of the Clerk-Recorder for Santa Clara County has information about how to request marriage records. They have marriages after 1851.
A considerable number of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
The website for the Office of the Clerk-Recorder for Santa Clara County has information about how to request death records. They have deaths after 1873.
- Santa Clara County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Santa Clara County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).