Saskatchewan BiographiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A biography is an oral or written history of a person's life. In a written biography you may find the individual's birth, marriage, and death information as well as the names of their parents, children, or other family members. Additionally information may be found to search for homestead records and immigration records such as passenger lists. From the dates in the biography, it can be determined which census to peruse for additional information. Use the information carefully because there may be inaccuracies. An autobiograhical account may be more accurate than a biography written by a third party, verify all data found.
You Can Use this Record to Find...
- Birth Information
- Marriage Information
- Death Information
- Land and Property
- Census Information
- Military Information
Thousands of biographies have been written about specific individuals. Copies may be at local historical societies and libraries. Lists of published individual biographies are available at your public library, such as:
Don't forget to try searching the library for biographical books Surname Search of the Family History Library Catalog under the individual's name. Also contact other family members for unpublished life histories they may know of.
Thousands of brief biographical sketches have been collected and published in local history books. These collections most often include biographies of early settlers and prominent or well-known citizens of a particular rural municipality, village, school district or town. The Family History Library has acquired some community local history books. Other almanacs feature biographical sketches of prominent persons such as scientists, writers, artists, or other vocations.
Collections of biographies at the Family History Library are generally listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under one of the following:
- Saskatchewan - BIOGRAPHY
- Saskatchewan - BIOGRAPHY - Dictionaries
- [STATE], [RURAL MUNICIPALITY] - BIOGRAPHY
- [STATE], [TOWN] - BIOGRAPHY
Some collections are also listed under GENEALOGY.
Provincial and Municipal Sources
The public and university libraries have local history rooms devoted to collections of local history books. The information services departments carry indexes of national and regional compilations of biographical material, Who's Who. The librarians can assist you in finding additional biographical sources listed in such bibliographies as:
Local history books may be purchased from the local historical society which compiled the volume or by contacting the rural municipality administrator for more information. Biographical collections submitted to local history socities by family members during the provincial anniversary years contain helpful information. These books may also contain cemetery transcriptions and those who served in the great wars. The information in these books includes both those residents who are prominent and the local resident and may not be available in any other source.
Local libraries and historical societies usually collect biographies and histories about local residents. The provincial anniversary years were 1955 (50th anniversary), 1980 (75th anniversary) and 2005 (100th anniversary), which began the popular trend to publish compiled biographies of local citizens. Directories have been published indexing the bibliographical information of these books, and there are a few bibliographies using these sources published online. Additionally, Our Roots Nos Racines has received permission to publish a few online. Similarly in some cases, local communities and rural municipalities have placed their books online if they are not going into re-print. The Saskatchewan Genealogy Society has established the Saskatchewan Residents Index which is a compilation of obituaries and book indexes which is searchable by name online.
Important Web Sites
- Canadian People -- A compilaton of prominent Canadian People, Western Canada sections are online.
- http://www.cyndislist.com/biographies/ Cyndi's List - Biographies]
- 1888 McPhillips' alphabetical and business directory of the District of Saskatchewan, N.W.T. : together with brief historical sketches of Prince Albert, Battleford and other settlements in the District - Saskatchewan Gen Web
- Pioneers and Prominent People of Saskatchewan published in 1924 with additional biographies added by visitors to the website about Saskatchewan persons.
- Saskatchewan and its People index connects to biographical persons as well as people mentioned within the biographical sketches.
- Saskatchewan Gen Web - One Room School Project - Home Page Bibliographical page containing names of local history books online and in print.
- Our Roots / Nos Racines Online digitization project of local history books.
- Advanced Book Search Google books contains digitized Saskatchewan history books.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News