Saskatchewan Provincial Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Saskatchewan Provincial Records, 1879-1987 .
This collection will include records from 1879 to 1987.
The records at this time include only Homestead Files from 1908 to 1910. More records will be added as they become available.
Once completed, this collection will contain following records:
- Military Records
- Voters Lists
- Land Records
- School Records
- Municipal Records
- Pioneer Questionnaires
- Henderson Directories
- Homestead Records
Official civil registration began in Saskatchewan in 1905. There are some marriages dating back to 1895. Again, please remember that records for the early years will be incomplete. The Vital Statistics Unit holds records that date somewhat earlier than 1905.
Homesteads granted to settlers were 160 acres of land, and required a $10.00 fee for the Letters Patent. Males 18 years or older, or a male or female head of a family, could apply.
Before receiving a title to the land, settlers had to file evidence to the Provincial Land Titles Office that they were British subjects by birth or naturalization. Dominion Land Acts set out provisions and options for lands regarding 'Pre-emption', 'proving' or purchasing a quarter section.
For a list of homestead files currently published in this collection, select the Browselink from the collection landing page.
Citation for This Collection
- "Saskatchewan Provincial Records,1879-1987." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Department of the Interior, Dominion Lands Branch. Saskatchewan Archives, Regina.
These provincial records usually contain the following information:
- Number of female adults in family
- Number of male adults in family
- Number of children under 12 years old in family
- Last place of residence
- Country of birth
- Previous occupation of father
How to Use the Record
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Place of residence
- Approximate year and place of birth
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate “Record Type, Date Range and Volume” which will take you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records in Saskatchewan, Canada
- Saskatchewan Gen Web Project
- Saskatchewan Archives Board: A good source for locating other records in Saskatchewan
- Library and Archives of Canada
Related Wiki Articles
- Saskatchewan Directories
- Saskatchewan Land and Property Records
- Saskatchewan Military Records
- Saskatchewan Municipal Records
- Saskatchewan School Records
Contributions to this Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"Saskatchewan Provincial Records 1879-1987", digital images, FamilySearch (https://.familysearch.org: accessed 24 April 2012); Saskatchewan Provincial Records 1879-1987 > Homestead files, 1908, no. 1646488-1646891 > Image 5 of 1109; homestead application dated July 31,1908, entry for Clauduis Monnery, of French origin. Saskatchewan Provincial Records. Vital statistics, Saskatchewan Health. Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan. Regina, Saskatchewan citing Provincial Records.