Saskatchewan Provincial Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Collection Time Period
This collection has only Homestead Files of 1908
How to Use the Record
The key genealogical facts in these provincial records may include:
- Number of Female Adults in family
- Number of Male Adults in family
- Number of Children under 12 years old in family
- Last place of residence
- Country of Birth
- Previous occupation of father
Official civil registration began in Saskatchewan in 1905. There are some marriages dating back to 1895. Again, please remember that records for the early years will be incomplete. The Vital Statistics Unit holds records that date somewhat earlier than 1905.
Homesteads granted to settlers were 160 acres of land, and required a $10.00 fee for the Letters Patent. Males 18 years or older could apply or a male or female head of the family. Before receiving title to the land, they had to file evidence that they were British subjects by birth or naturalization.
Settlers had to apply to the Provincial Land Titles Office to to file Homestead forms that they were British subjects by birth or naturalization. Dominion Land Acts set out provisions and options for lands regarding 'Pre-emption', 'proving' or purchasing a quarter section.
Why This Record Was Created
These records are generally reliable.
Related Web Sites
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the Wiki Article: How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Examples of Source Citations for a Record in This Collection:
Please add sample citations to this article following the format guidelines in the wiki article listed above.
- United States. Bureau of the Census. 12th census, 1900, digital images, From FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: September 29, 2006), Arizona Territory, Maricopa, Township 1, East Gila, Salt River Base and Meridian; sheet 9B, line 71
- Mexico, Distrito Federal, Catholic Church Records, 1886-1933, digital images, from FamilySearch Internet (www.familysearch.org: April 22, 2010), Baptism of Adolfo Fernandez Jimenez, 1 Feb. 1910, San Pedro Apóstol, Cuahimalpa, Distrito Federal, Mexico, film number 0227023
Sources of information for This Collection
"Saskatchewan Provincial Records" images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed July 12, 2011) Entry for James Elmer Shark, age 41; citing provincial records, FHL microfilm 4,766,678