Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Reading these articles first may help you get started with your Scottish research.
- Getting Started - how to get started with your Scottish research
- Strategies for locating births, marriages, and deaths in Scotland
- Beginners Guide: Finding Records of Your Ancestors - Scotland 1855 To 1901 (42 Mb pdf file)
- Finding Your Ancestors in Scotland before 1855 - the handout from a presentation given at a genealogical conference in 2010
- Researching Your Scottish Ancestry Before 1855 - more tips for finding your ancestors
- Record selection table - a list of the best records to search to find specific information
- Browse: Pages for Scotland
- Article: Scotland Church Records Union List - introduction to this resource available in the Wiki.
- Article: ScotlandsPeople - information about this premier website for online access to Scotland's genealogical records.
Research toolsClick on a county to go to that county's page:
- County list (with abbreviation codes)
- Maps of old and new counties
- Personal names
- Glossary of terms
- Handfast tradition
- Bartholomew's map of Scotland counties
- BYU Research Guide for Scotland
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Scotland Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Did You Know?
- Catholic Church births and baptisms for 1703-1955 are now indexed on ScotlandsPeople.
- NEW! Join a Genealogy Research Community for Scotland on Skype or Facebook!
- An index of 21,000 passengers who left Scottish ports 1890-1960 is on Scottish Emigration Database
- Hebridean Connection is a useful site for those searching in the Western Isles.
- Read about the K13 submarine disaster, which took place during World War I.
Click here for information about online resources for Scotland