Scotland Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 .
This index is an electronic index for the years 1564 to 1955. It is not necessarily intended to index any specific set of records. This index is not complete for any particular place or region. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
95% of this collection consists of pre 1875 records. Most of the remaing 5% are pre 1910. There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.
The index, Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1955, is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.
95% of the names indexed within this collection are:
- Pre 1855 Church of Scotland Records
- Civil Registration 1855 to 1875
5% of the names indexed with in this collection are:
- Church of Scotland post 1855
- Denominations other than the Church of Scotland
The primary record classes, pre 1855 Church of Scotland and Civil Registration 1855 to 1875 are not to be considered complete; though, a high percentage of the records are in the index. (95% to 98%)
Record Content and Use
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article Births and Christenings Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records).
Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a Name, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:
- Indexing Project (Batch) Number: The hyperlinked batch number takes you to all those records in that batch which covers one parish for a particular number of years, so you can search just the records in that batch. (There is typically more than one batch number per parish) A website commonly referred to as Hugh Wallis IGI Batch Numbers is a site where you can view and search all the batch number for a Parish.
- IGI Batch Number Descriptions help one understand the meaning of the batch numbers. The batch number prefixes related to this collection are 'C' and "i"
- Source Film Number: The source film number refers to a microfilm of an orginal record from which the batches have been created. This is the record that may provide additional information not found in the index. Search the library catalogue using the film number, and if need be order the film through a Family History Center. Reading the hand writing may be a challenge
Scotland's People. Subscription website (£) that includes Church of Scotland and Catholic parish registers, as well as Scotland civil registration records.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information on a research log. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.]] Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
“Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XT6F-PSZ : accessed 24 May 2012), Peter Hennessy, 1881; citing Scotland Registrar General, Registers of births, marriages and deaths, FHL microfilm 232638, The New Register House, Edinburg, Scotland.