Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(ofsp)
(Fixed Page)
 
(9 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{Record_Search_article|CID=CID1771074|title=Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910
+
{{Record_Search_article
 +
|CID=CID1771074
 +
|title=Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910
 
|location=Scotland}}<br>  
 
|location=Scotland}}<br>  
  
[[Image:Church of Scotland in Langholm 1.jpg|frame|350x250px]]<br>
+
[[Image:Church of Scotland in Langholm 1.jpg|frame|350x250px|Church of Scotland in Langholm 1.jpg]]  
  
 
== Description of Record  ==
 
== Description of Record  ==
  
This index covers events from 1561 through 1910. 98% of this collection consists of pre 1875 records. Most of the remaining 2% are post 1876 records. There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.  
+
This index is an electronic index for the years 1561 to 1910.  
 +
 
 +
It is not necessarily intended to index any specific set of records. This index is not complete for any particular place or region. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
 +
 
 +
98% of this collection consists of pre 1875 records. Most of the remaining 2% are post 1876 records. There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.  
  
 
The index, "Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.  
 
The index, "Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.  
Line 31: Line 37:
 
*[[Scotland Statutory Registers - Vital Records|Scotland Statutary Registers - Vital Records]]
 
*[[Scotland Statutory Registers - Vital Records|Scotland Statutary Registers - Vital Records]]
  
=== &nbsp;Citation for This Collection ===
+
== Record Content and Use ==
  
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
+
For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article [[Marriages Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records)]].
 
+
{{Collection citation| text = <!--bibdescbegin-->Genealogical Society of Utah. Scotland, Marriages. Index based on data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.<!--bibdescend-->}}
+
 
+
This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.
+
 
+
[[Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)#Citation_Example_for_a_Record_Found_in_This_Collection|Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.]]
+
 
+
== Record Content  ==
+
 
+
The key genealogical facts found in marriage index entries may include:
+
 
+
*Name of bride and groom
+
*Names of the parents
+
*Marriage date
+
*Marriage place
+
*Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
+
  
== How to Use the Record  ==
+
=== How to Use the Record  ===
  
 
Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a name of those married, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:  
 
Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a name of those married, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:  
Line 61: Line 51:
 
== Related Websites  ==
 
== Related Websites  ==
  
*[http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ Scotland's People]. Subscription website (£) that includes Church of Scotland and Catholic parish registers, as well as Scotland civil registration records.
+
[http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ Scotland's People]. Subscription website (£) that includes Church of Scotland and Catholic parish registers, as well as Scotland civil registration records.
 
+
{{Incomplete Section}}
+
  
 
== Related Wiki Articles  ==
 
== Related Wiki Articles  ==
Line 80: Line 68:
  
 
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article [[Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections|Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections]].  
 
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article [[Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections|Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections]].  
 +
 +
=== Citation for This Collection  ===
 +
 +
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
 +
 +
{{Collection citation | text= "Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910." Index. <i>FamilySearch</i>. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.}}
 +
 +
<br> [[Scotland Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)#Citation_Example_for_a_Record_Found_in_This_Collection|Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.]]
  
 
=== Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection  ===
 
=== Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection  ===

Latest revision as of 22:05, 20 November 2013

FamilySearch Record Search This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.
Access the records: Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910 .

Church of Scotland in Langholm 1.jpg

Contents

Description of Record

This index is an electronic index for the years 1561 to 1910.

It is not necessarily intended to index any specific set of records. This index is not complete for any particular place or region. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index or Vital Records Index collections.

98% of this collection consists of pre 1875 records. Most of the remaining 2% are post 1876 records. There are no Scotland indexing projects currently, so this collection is not expected to change in the foreseeable future.

The index, "Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," is to be used as a tool to locate and view the original documents. The documents or records record more than what is found in the index.

98% of the names indexed with in this collection are:

  • Pre 1855 Church of Scotland Records
  • Civil Registration 1855 to 1875

2% of the names indexed with in this collection are:

  • Church of Scotland post 1855
  • Denominations other than the Church of Scotland

The primary record classes, pre 1855 Church of Scotland and Civil Registration 1855 to 1875 are not to be considered complete; though, a high percentage of the records are in the index. (95% to 98%)

For over 30 years, volunteer indexers extracted this information from microfilm copies of the original records. In 2001, some of the entries were published on 16 CDs by the Family History Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the “British Isles Vital Records Index: England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.” This is an index of some marriages throughout Scotland. The index is not necessarily complete for any particular place or region.

This collection is an index to civil registration and church records. Church records and civil registration were official records and are some of the most reliable sources of information available for those who were born, married, or died in Scotland.

To learn more about these records consult the following wiki articles:

Record Content and Use

For details about the contents of these records and help using them see the wiki article Marriages Vital Record Index Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records).

How to Use the Record

Upon finding a person in the index, the typical data one would expect to find is a name of those married, Date and Place. Two other relevant items are the:

  • Indexing Project (Batch) Number: The hyperlinked batch number takes you to all those records in that batch which covers one parish for a particular number of years, so you can search just the records in that batch. (There is typically more than one batch number per parish) A website commonly referred to as Hugh Wallis IGI Batch Numbers is a site where you can view and search all the batch number for a Parish.
    • The IGI has been replaced by FamilySearch, and the Historical Records Collection. IGI Batch Number Descriptions help one understand the meaning of the batch numbers. The batch number prefixes related to this collection are 'M'
  • Source Film Number: The source film number refers to a microfilm of an orginal record from which the batches have been created. This is the record that may provide additional information not found in the index. Search the library catalogue using the film number, and if need be order the film through a Family History Center. Reading the hand writing may be a challenge

Related Websites

Scotland's People. Subscription website (£) that includes Church of Scotland and Catholic parish registers, as well as Scotland civil registration records.

Related Wiki Articles

Contributions to This Article

We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.

Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections

When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.

A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.

Citation for This Collection

The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.

"Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.


Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.

Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection

"Scotland Marriages, 1561–1910." database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed March 28, 2012), Andrew Shinan and Janet Wilson, 4 December 1811; citing Church of Scotland, Parish church of Kilmarnock, Marriage Records, New Register House, Edinburgh, FHL microfilm 1,041,386, Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 20 November 2013, at 22:05.
  • This page has been accessed 23,095 times.