ScotlandsPeopleEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
If you are searching Scottish people, use the Scotland’s People Web site. It contains many census, civil registration, testament and church records. Due to privacy laws, Internet access is limited to birth records over 100 years old, marriage records over 75 years, and death records over 50 years.
The site contains indexes and images for the following records.
- Old Parish Records, 1553-1854 (Church of Scotland)
- Census, 1841-1901
- Statutory Registers, starting 1855 (Civil Registers)
- Testaments (Wills), 1513-1901
Genealogical information in each database varies but the following can be found.
- Names of individuals.
- Dates of birth, marriage or death.
- Places of residence, birth, marriage or death.
- Date of a testament (probate).
Using the site
- Type in your user name and password and click Login. If you don't have a login, click the link to Register.
- Click on a type of record you wish to search.
- Enter information into the search boxes provided.
- Click Search.
- Registration on the site is free.
- Credits (a minimum of 30 for 6 GBP) are required to search for a specific record and to view details and digitized images of records.
- Each page of search results costs 1 credit to view.
- Each record image costs 5 credits to view.
- A person can do a free search for surname without a login. The result of this search shows the number of surnames in each database.
- For information about the availability of a group of records, click the What’s in the Database tab near the top of the screen.
- Credits can be paid by credit card on their secure site.
- Credits can be used at any time. The current number of credits is shown at the top right after you log in.
- If you have not visited the site for awhile, you will be asked to buy more credits.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More