Scott County, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Southwest Virginia county.
- Lost census: 1890
- Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians, Portuguese and Freed Slaves. Wytheville, Virginia: Kegley Books, 2003. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives. [Includes information from Scott County.]
- Tombstone Transcription Project Scott County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Scott County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Addington] Addington, Luther. "The Addington Family," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 4 (1978):56. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Carter] Sutton, Rita K. and Eliza Sutton Rigg. Early Carters in Scott County, Virginia. 1993. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C245sr.
- [Crook] Carter, Floyd Clarence and Douglas Wayne Carter. Descendants of Sciota R. Crook of Scott County, Virginia. [Beavercreek, Ohio: D.W. Carter], 1998. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 C882cf.
- [Frazier] Frazier, Margaret Mills. "Searching for Mills's and Fraziers," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 2 (Apr. 1978):51-54. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Hilton] Hilton, James L., E. Frank Hilton, and Lelia Hilton Neal. "Hiltons of Scott County, Virginia," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):35-36; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):26-29. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Hilton] Hilton, James L. Hiltons of Scott County, Virginia. 1998. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 H563hj.
- [Johnson] Yates, William Allen. Johnson Genealogy: Descendants of George W. Johnson of Scott County, Virginia and Rockcastle County, Kentucky and Descendants of Benjamin Johnson of Smyth County, Virginia. Stevensville, Montana: W.A. Yates, 1992. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 J632y.
- [Lyon] Lyon(s) Family Association of America. Lyon(s) Family Archives, ca.1605-ca.1980: Lyon(s) Individual and Family Files for Various Counties in the State of Virginia. Typescript, 1960-1975. FHL Film 1320853 Item 2
- [Marshall] "CSA Soldier: Robert Wilson Marshall," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 1 (Jun. 1996):96-97. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 1 (Jun. 1996).
- [Moore] McCloskey, Cheryl Moore. Descendants of John Moore, Revolutionary War Veteran, Floyd County, Kentucky: The Moore Book, an Account of John Moore (1758-1836) Birth, Orange County, North Carolina; Revolution Residence, Surry County, North Carolina; Marriage, Rockingham County, North Carolina; Deceased, Floyd County, Kentucky and His Descendants Floyd County, Kentucky; Scott and Wise Counties, Virginia. Villa Hills, Ky.: C.M. McCloskey, 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 M781mcc.
- [Osbourne] Bowlin, Gerald D. "Information Given by Rebecca Collier Nee Richmond, A Gran Daughter of Stephen Osbourne," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 4 (1978):11-13. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Scott County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Peters] Petes, James Marvin. Peters Family of Scott County, Virginia: A Genealogy of Henry Peters (1763-1859), John Peters (1770-1846), and Jacob Peters, Jr. (1779-1862). New Carlisle, Ohio: J.M. Peters, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P442pj.
- [Pierson] Peterson, Phyllis P. "History of Claude William Pierson," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 4, No. 20 (Apr. 1981):41-43; Vol. 4, No. 21 (June 1981):30-32. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 4 (1981).
- [Riggs] Sutton, Rita K. "The Riggs Family (A Partial Genealogy)," The Southwest Virginian, Vol. 1, No. 5 (1978):2-15. FHL Book 975.57 D25s v. 1 (1978).
- [Rogers] Rogers, Marion J. "The Descendants of John Rogers of Virginia," The Appalachian Quarterly, Vol. 1, No. 3 (Dec. 1996):64. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5743 D25a v. 1, no. 3 (Dec. 1996).
- [Shelly] Whitley, Edythe. Shelly Family of Scott County, Virginia and Franklin County, Tennessee Data. 1964. FHL US/CAN Film 875370 Item 9.
- [Speer] Speer, Rollo Clayton. The Family of Michael Speer of Speer's Ferry, Scott Co., Va.: A Partial Account of the Family in Their Migration from Virginia through the States of North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Colorado, Idaho and the Pacific Coast States. Pocatello, Idaho: unknown, 1942. FHL US/CAN Film 1688880 Item 12; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Speer] Shaffer, Goldie Margueritte Cook. Speer Family: Family of Joshua Speer of Scott County, Virginia. 1990. FHL US/CAN Film 1598123 Item 3.
- [Spencer] Martin, Charles E. James Spencer (circa 1775)-1833 of Scott County, Virginia: and Some of His Descendants. Eastern, Ky.: C.E. Martin, 1986. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Sp33m.
- [Wolfe] Wolfe, Bevery U. and Jacob Wolfe Family Association. Jacob Wolfe of Scott County, Virginia: and Some of His Descendants. Fernandina Beach, Florida: Wolfe Pub., 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 W832wo.
- [Wolfe] Wolfe, Ed. The Life and Times of Miller Yard in Scott County, Virginia. Pittsburgh, Penn.: HEW Enterprises, 2002. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5732 H2w.
- Addington, Robert M. History of Scott County, Virginia. Kingsport, Tenn.: Kingsport Press, 1932. Available at FHL (original edition and 1979 reprint); digital version at Ancestry ($) and World Vital Records ($).
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Scott County pensioners.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Scott County on page 136.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Scott County, p. 103. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Scott County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1978):133-136. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Scott County is included in Vol. 5.]
-  Kegley, Mary B. Southwest Virginia Tax Assessments, 1815: Grayson, Lee, Scott, Russell, Washington, and Wythe Counties. Wytheville, Va.: Kegley Books, 1991. Original edition and 1992 supplement available at FHL. [The source for this publication is a private collection of 1815 tax assessment tickets for the First District of Virginia. The tickets includes landowners' names, number of acres or lots, number of buildings along with descriptions, and number of slaves. N.B. These are not the 1815 land tax books.]
-  Kincaid, Bathsheba. "Scott County, Virginia Tax Book for 1816," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Fall 1985):179-181. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 4 (1985).
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- References for Southwest Virginia (Southwest Virginia Project)
- RootsWeb Mailing List: SW_VA-L (Topic: Southwest Virginia)
- Scott County Virginia Genealogical Research Site
- Cyndi's List
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback