Scott County Iowa Genealogical SocietyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society (SCIGS)|
|Address||Special Collections Room of the Davenport Public Library, 321 Main Street, Davenport, IA 52801|
|Day of Meeting||1st Monday of each month with the following EXCEPTIONS: September - if the 1st Monday follows the Labor Day holiday. There no meetings in January or July.|
|Time of Meeting||7:00 pm|
|Hours||See Davenport Public Library for hours|
|Cost of Membership||$12.00 per year|
Purpose of the Society
The purpose of SCIGS is twofold.
- to provide educational programs and research materials to assist members in their own family history research.
- to work within the community to preserve and provide access to historical records that document the history of Scott County.
Help the Society Can Provide
SCIGS is committed to assisting those doing genealogy for this area and increasing its collection of local records. Resources include Scott County Courthouse records, cemetery and church records, vital records for neighboring Iowa counties and other states, immigration records, newspaper abstracts and periodicals. These materials provide a broad genealogical base for research and is merged with the Davenport Public Library's Special Collection Room records to expand the scope of both organizations.
All of our record collections are housed in the Richardson-Sloan Special Collectons Room
- Located: Davenport Public Library, 321 Main Street, Davenport, IA 52801
- How to access: http://www.davenportlibrary.com/genealogy-and-history/
Indexes for Scott County, Iowa
- Indexes to multiple record sources are online at Scott County, Iowa Genealogy www.celticcousins.net/scott/
Publications In the Society's Holdings
- (general description or list of titles)
- (general description of list of titles)
Family Files (any other paper files)
- (general description or list of surnames)
Publications for Sale
SOME MATERIALS FOR SALE BY THE SCOTT COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
- 1850 Federal Census, Mortality Schedule & Early Marriages (Grooms and Brides indexes for 1831-1852)
- Marriage Records 1852-1879
- Naturalization Index 1852-1930
- Naturalization Index and Documents 1832-1926 (not the same as 1852-1930, but may be some duplication)
- Gravestone Record Indexes
- Cemetery Records
- Probate Records
- Davenport City Directory 1856
- Abstracted Names from "THE DAVENPORT DEMOCRAT AND LEADER" newspaper (Years currently in print 1900-1946)
This is not a complete list or description of materials available. These publications are offered for sale through the IOWA GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY, P.O. Box 7735, Des Moines, IA 50322. Please write for a catalog.
Look up Services
(Instructions and fees)
How to Do Research in (name of town/county)
- (list of classes whether online or onsite)
Local Repositories Society Members Visit
- American/Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society www.ashhs.org/index.html
- Geman American Heritage Center www.gahc.org/
- Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center www.augustana.edu/x13856.xml
- Davenport Public Library - Richardson-Sloan Special Collections www.davenportlibrary.com/genealogy-and-history/
- Davenport Iowa Family History Center - www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Davenport_Iowa_Family_History_Center
Benefits to Those Who Join the Society
Cost of membership and how to join:
Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society Membership is open to anyone interested in genealogy and family history.
Dues are payable by 1 Jan as follows:
Individual membership $12.00
Mr. & Mrs. Membership $16.00
Annual contributing membership $20.00
Life membership $250.00
Please make checks payable to Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society, and send to:
PO Box 3132
Davenport, IA 52808-3132
Unlimited Online Access to:
- FamilySearch online records and indexes. More added everyday. familysearch.org/
- Scott County, Iowa Genealogy and indexes to many databases www.celticcousins.net/scott/index.htm
Newsletter/Periodical: The Iowan - Just got a new editor and hopes are to republish soon. We are going ditigal. Send us your email and we will send you a copy when we get it ready.
Field Trips:Tuesday May 7, 2013 - Tour of the German American Heritage Center, 712 W 2nd St Davenport, IA 52802. Time is 7:00 pm. Tour will begin after a brief meeting upstairs in conference room.
May 7th, our meeting will be at 7 p.m. at the German American Heritage Center, 712 W 2nd St, Davenport, IA 52802. This is a Tuesday not our regular Monday meeting. There will be no Monday meeting.
Jun 3rd, our meeting will be "How to Use Maps in Genealogy" by Scharlotte Blevins. It will be at 7 p.m.at the Davenport Public Library, 321 Main St, Davenport, IA 52801. Scharlotte Blevins is a well known local speaker and teacher of genealogy. This meeting is well worth our time to come and see.
1st Monday of each month with the following EXCEPTIONS: September - if the 1st Monday follows the Labor Day holiday. There no meetings in January or July. (Field trips may be announced from time to time.)
5:45-6:45pm prior to regular meetings unless otherwise announced.
- (List each project)
- (List each project)
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback