Sevier County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Sevier County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sevier County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 17, 1828|
|County Seat||De Queen|
|Address|| Sevier County Courthouse|
115 N 3rd;
De Queen, AR 71832
- 1828--Sevier County was created 17 October 1828 from Hempstead and Miller Counties. County seat: De Queen 
See an interactive map of Sevier County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sevier County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Sevier County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union).
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Sevier County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1839-1885 - Sevier County Birth Index 1839-1885. Batch C586053 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1839-1951 - Sevier County Marriage Books 1-4, E-G, 8-30 Index 1839-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1839-1898 - Sevier County Marriage Books 1-4, E-G Index 1839-1898 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Southwest Arkansas Daily Local area current obituaries Southwest Arkansas/Southeast Oklahoma
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives Old Washington
Family History Centers
- Sevier County ArGenWeb, a USGenWeb project.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Sevier County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.