Shasta County, California Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (added a category)
|Line 148:||Line 148:|
Revision as of 23:45, 2 December 2012
Shasta County Courthouse
1643 Market Street
PO Box 990880
Redding, CA 96099
County Clerk has divorce, probate and court records from 1880
County Recorder has birth, marriage and death records
18 February 1850: Shasta County was created as an original county. County seat: Redding 
14 June 1853: Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Indian Reservations or Rancherias
The Big Bend Indian Rancheria is located in this county.
- Saint Josephs Cemetery, Redding BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Shasta County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and property
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- The Lassen Cutoff 1848 was established by gold rushers from Oregon going to California. It branched off the Applegate Trail at Davis Creek, went through Devil's Garden to the Pit River passing east of Mt. Lassen, and turning west to Lassen Rancho, California, and from there to Sacramento. In some years as much as 1/3 of emigrants mistakenly took the Applegate Trail-Lassen Cutoff, a much longer and more difficult trail than the Truckee or Carson routes.
- Nobles Road 1851 from the Applegate Trail at Rabbithole Springs in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada to Shasta City, California
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Anderson California Family History Center
- Fall River California Family History Center
- Redding California Family History Center
- Shasta County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Shasta County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).