Shawnee IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
Alternate Names and Spellings: Shawnee, Shawanoe, Shawanoese, Shawanee, Shawonee
Ancestral Homeland: near Cumberland River, Ohio and Tennessee River (Georgia,Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia and Ohio)
Federal Recognition :
- 1689-1763: French and Indian Wars, sided with the French
- 1754: Eskippakithiki, a Shawnee settlement abandoned
- 1763: joined the Ottawa and other tribes in Pontiac's Rebellion against the British
- 1769: Shawnee warned Daniel Boone to leave "Kentucky"
- 1774: fought Virginians in Lord Dunmore's War. (Lord Dunmore gave veterans of the French and Indian War who fought under him land that belonged to the Shawnee)
- October 6, 1774: Point Pleasant, West Virginia- Treaty - ceded land
- 1775: Sided with the British during the Revolutionary War
- 1794: land ceded
- 1795: Treaty of Fort Greenville
- 1812-1815: War of 1812, at the end of the War, the colonial government of Virginia gave bonuse to soldiers in the form of military tracts, in Kentucky
- October 5, 1813: Battle of the Thames, Tecumseh killed
- 1815: many Shawnee resicing near Cape Girardeau and on the Merrimack River near St. Louis. Delaware and Abesentee Shawnee moved into Arkansas and in 1820 moved to Texas.
- 1825: a censu fo Indians in the United States total of Shawnee 2,293 (not including Shawnee living in Texas)
- 1832: Black Hawk War
- 1832: Wapakoneta Shawnee removed west of the Missouri River,
- 1833: Hog Creek Shawnee removed to Kansas
- 1861-65: supported the Union during the Civil War
- 1867: Shawnee located on three reservation in Indian Territory. Apsentee Shawnee from Texas settled with the Potawatomi (Pottawatomie County); Kansas Shawnee to the Cherokee reservation in 1870 they were incorporated with the Cherokee Nation; Mixed band of Seneca and Shawnee settled in Ottawa County, Oklahoma.
Ohio, Indiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Texas
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Shawnee tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods. Additional details are given in John Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America.
Ohio History Central article on the Shawnee Indians
P.O. Box 189
Miami, OK 74355
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
M 234 RG 75 Roll 962
M595 RG 75 Roll 693
|Shawnee, Indian Territory||Shawnee Agency, 1890-1952||Fort Wayne||-||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Ohio||Piqua and Ohio Agencies, 1831-43||Washington D.C.||Rolls 600-03||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Kansas||Fort Leavenworth Agency,1824-51||Washington D.C.||Rolls 299-303||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Kansas||Kansas Agency, 18521-55||Washington D.C.||Rolls 363-70||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Kansas||Shawnee Agency, 1855-76||Washington D.C.||Rolls 808-23||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Kansas-Indian Territory||Union Agency, 1875-80||Washington D.C.||Rolls 864-77||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Eastern||Neosho Agency, 1867-71||Washington D.C.||Rolls 534-37||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Eastern||Quapaw Agency 1885-1939||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||-||-||Rolls 410-16||581405-410|
|Shawnee, Eastern||Seneca Agency, 1901-7, 1910-21||Washington D.C.||-||-||Rolls 487-89||581498-99|
|Shawnee, Absentee||Whichita Agency, 1859-67||Washington D.C.||Rolls 927-30||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Absentee||Sac and Fox Agency, ca. 1869-80||Chicago||-||-||-||-|
|Shawnee, Absentee||Shawnee Agency, 1890-1952||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||-||-||Rolls 490-96||581865-581871|
- 1871 Shawnee Tribe who moved to Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory before June 10, 1871 www.accessgenealogy.com
- 1786 January 31, on the Miami
- 1795 August 3, at Greenville
- 1803 June 7, at Fort Wayne with the Delawares
- 1805 July 4, at Fort Industry, with the Wyandot
- 1808 November 25, at Brownstown, with the Chippewa
- 1814 July 22, at Greenville, with the Wyandot
- 1815 September 8, at Spring Wells, with the Wyandot
- 1817 September 29,with the Wyandot
- 1818 September 17, at St. Mary's, with the Wyandot
- 1825 November 7, at St. Louis,
- 1831 July 20, at Lewistown, with the Seneca
- 1831 August 8, at Wapaghkonnetta
- 1832 December 29, at Seneca Agency with the Seneca
- 1832 October 26, at Castor Hill, with Shawnee
- 1854 May 10, at Washington
- 1865 September 13, at Fort Smith - unratified- with the Cherokee and other Tribes in the Indian Territory
- 1867 February 23, at Washington, with Seneca, Mixed Seneca and Shawnee, Quapaw, Etc.,
- Quapaw Agency, M595, birth and deaths 1924-1932, FHL Film: 581408
- Shawnee Agency, M595, births and deaths 1910-1934, FHL Film: 581870
Important Web Sites
- The Shawnee Tribe Official Website
- Shawnee Tribe Wikipedia
- Constitution of the United Tribe of Shawnee Indians
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; Family History Library book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; Family History Library book 970.1 G131g.
- Volume 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Volume 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Volume 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Volume 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; Family History Library book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; Family History Library book 970.1 W146e 2006.