Shenandoah County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Shenandoah County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 25 family history books and articles have been published about Shenandoah County's families.
- Main article: Shenandoah County, Virginia
Shenandoah County, Virginia Genealogy General Resources
The Katherine Bushman Papers, 1961-1997 at the Library of Virginia include files about Shenandoah County families.
Shenandoah County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 150 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Shenandoah County families include:
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarerly. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- Vann, Marvin J. Shenandoah County, Virginia, a Study of the 1860 Census with Supplemental Data. 4 vols. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1993-1998. FHL Collection 975.595 X2v v. 1
Shenandoah County, Virginia Genealogy Books and Articles
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Albright] Ritchie, Patricia T. The Albrite--Albright Family in Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties, Virginia, and in Hardy County, West Virginia. Winchester, Va.: P.T. Ritchie, 1991. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 AL15r.
- [Allen] Gibbs, Dorothy Allen, Mildred Moore Huntsman, and William C. Morcom. ABC of Our Family Tree. Vassar, Kan.: D.A. Gibbs, 1982. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online; FHL Film 1421608 Item 6.
- [Barb] Barbe, Waverly Wilson, Alan Lee Williams and Olive Amelia McLaughlin. The Barb-Barbe Genealogy a Progressive Numerical Register of Some of the Descendants of Johann Jacob Barb Born 28 Nov. 1725 Hochstenbach, Westerwald, Germany Died 20 Apr. 1819 Shenandoah, Co., Virginia...Based on the Records of Olive Amelia (Barbe) McLaughlin (1842-1928). Honesdale, Pa.: Barbe & Associates, 1993. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free; FHL Book 929.273 B232b.
- [Beatty] "Anne M.P. Beatty of Shenandoah County," Virginia Folder Collection at Virginia Pioneers ($).
- [Bowman] Dillon, Ruth Wilson Van Deusen and Marguerite Relyea Lewis. The Chinn Book. Cottonport, La.: Polyanthos, 1972. FHL Book 929.273 C441d.
- [Bowman] MacDonald, Helen Lay and Betty Boehm Millner. Christian Bauman/Bowman of Shenandoah County, Virginia. Hayden Lake, Idaho: H. L. MacDonald & B. B. Millner, 1981. FHL Collection 929.273 B684mh
- [Brock] Zirkle, Franklin A. Brief Outline of the Brock Family of Shenandoah County of Virginia. New Market, Va., 1971.
- [Bushong] Bell, Carol Willsey. The Bushong Family -- Descendants of John Jacob Bushong (1754-1830), Revolutionary Soldier. Columbia, Ohio: C.W. Bell, 1982. FHL Book 929.273 B964bc.
- [Byrd] Athow, Leland J. A Brief History & Genealogy of the Descendants of Adam Byrd. 1982 Revised Edition. Tacoma, Wash.: P.L. Goedert, 1982. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Byrd] Joslyn, Roger D. "Was Andrew Byrd of Greene County, Ohio, a Son of Colonel Abraham Byrd of Shenandoah County, Virginia, and Fayette County, Kentucky?", The American Genealogist, Vol. 74, No. 2 (Apr. 1999):131-146. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Clevenger] Griffiths, George R. Clevenger, Pioneers & Descendants. Baltimore, Md., 1980.
- [Click] The Glick Family in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. 1959. Available at Augusta County Historical Society.
- [Comer] Rorabaugh, Joyce. Those Roving Rittgers. Volume One. Bowie, Md., 1998. FHL Book 929.273 R515r.
- [Crim] See, Hazel Tidler. Crim (Krim), Ancestors of Rockingham and Shenandoah Counties, Virginia Cauldwell, Henton, Yarnall, Baker, Maris, Worrilow, Perkes, Miller, and Others of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries. Winchester, Va.: H.T. See, 1989. FHL Collection 929.273 C868s
- [Cullers] Fogle, Patricia A. The Descendants of John and Mary (Miller) Cullers of Shenandoah County, Virginia. Fredericksburg, Va.: Sheridan Books, [2002?]. FHL Collection 929.273 C897fpa
- [Cunningham] Newman, Betty Cunningham. Adam and 500 More Cunninghams of the Valley of Virginia, c.1734-c.1800. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, Inc., 2000. FHL Book 929.273 C917n.
- [Darst] Gladden, Sanford Charles. The Darst Family in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Typescript, Oxford, Miss., 1946. Copy: FHL Film 362667.
- [Darst] Darst, H. Jackson. The Darsts of Virginia, A Chronicle of Ten Generations in the Old Dominion. Williamsburg, Va., 1972. FHL Book 929.273 D254d.
- [Dilley] Jones, Thomas W. "Dilley of Northern Virginia and Ohio: A Proposed Solution Hanging on a Single Word," The American Genealogist, Vol. 79, No. 3 (Jul. 2004):220-227.
- [Dobkins] Smyth, Cecil B. The Dobkins Family in America. Fort Worth, Texas?: C.B. Smyth, 1978?. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795593 Item 2 Includes Shenandoah County Duncans.
- [Estep] Turner, Debra Estep. The Family of Simon Estep of Supinlick Ridge, Shenandoah County, Virginia. New Market, Va.: D. Turner, 1992. FHL Collection 929.273 Es85t
- [Feezel] Feasel, Hubert L. Families of Michael and Jacob Feezel/Feasel of Shenandoah County, Virginia. 1998. FHL Collection 929.273 F321fm
- [Filtzmoyer] Sanders, Doris Bowman. The Filtzmoyers of Shenandoah County, Virginia. Alexandria, Va.: D.B. Sanders, 1990. FHL Collection 929.273 F489sa
- [Foltz] Brown, Chloe Delle Foltz. Historical and Genealogical Records of the Descendants of John Balthes Foltz and Margaret Hormighouser Foltz of Shenandoah County, Virginia and Fairfield County, Ohio with Some Early History and Records of the Father of George Peter Foltz and Grandfather Joseph Foltz of Shenandoah County, Virginia, 1751-1971. FHL Collection 929.273 F731b
- [Fry] Miller, Mable. Mauck-Fry Family of Shenandoah County, Virginia. Free Lookups Available!
- [Garton] Garton, Ernest Lovejoy. Garton Family: Descendants of William Garton of Fairfield, Cumberland County, N. J. and Descendants of William Garton of Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. Typescript. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 6
- [Getz] Getz, James E. Baltzer Getz: German Immigrant Our Ancestor and His Descendants, from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania to Shenandoah County, Virginia and Beyond. Fredericksburg, Va.: Sheridan Books, 2001. FHL Collection 929.273 G335gj; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Glick] The Glick Family in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. 1959. Available at Augusta County Historical Society.
- [Gochenour] Evans, Robert Lee. History of the Descendants of Jacob Gochenour Who Died in November 1771 in Shenandoah County, Virginia and Including Those Who Moved to Ohio, Indiana and Missouri with Some Data on Henry Gochenour Who Died about 1788 in Shenandoah County, Virginia and His Children, and a Note on European and Pennyslvania Gochenours. Arlington, Va.: Robert Lee Evans, 1977. FHL Collection 929.273 G539e
- [Good] Good, William Algernon. Shadowed by the Massanutten: A History of Life Along Smith Creek, the Good Family Genealogy, and Civil War Notes. Broadway, Va.: W.A. Good, 1992. FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2g.
- [Henton] Edwards, Nell Henton. Genealogy of the Henton Family. Versailles, Ky., 1960.
- [Hoffman] Holtzclaw, B.C. John Hoffman, 1714 Germanna Colonist, and His Descendants. Harrisonburg, Va., 1963. FHL Book 975.5 D2gd no. 3
- [Housden] Drake, Vicky Walker and Debby Housden Owens. Our Housden Legacy. 2 vols. Luray, Va.: V. Drake & D. Owens, 2003. FHL Collection 929.273 H816d v. 1
- [Hurst] Leeper, Erma Brown. My Heritage. Laguna Hills, Calif., 1969. FHL Book 929.273 L518L.
- [Hutchison] Winthurst, Phyllis. The Hutchison Chronicles: Some Stories of the Nine Generations of Descendants of John and Margaret Hutchison, Prince William and Shenandoah Counties, Virginia and Montgomery County, Tennessee. Tucson, Ariz.: P.R. Winthurst, 1998. FHL Collection 929.273 H975w
- [Lewis] Anderson, Sarah Travers Lewis. Lewises, Meriwethers and Their Kin. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1995. FHL Book 929.273 L587as.
- [Mathias] Griffiths, George R. The Mathias Family of Hardy County, Virginia and West Virginia, A Pioneer Mountain Family. Chicago, Ill.: Adams Press, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 M426g.
- [Mauck] Miller, Mable. Mauck-Fry Family of Shenandoah County, Virginia: A History and Genealogy. 1982. FHL Collection 929.273 M441mm Free Lookups Available!
- [Mauck] Mauck Family Bible of Robert P. Mauck Born 1742, Died 1903 Gallia, Ohio; Page & Shenandoah Counties Virginia; Also Includes Ruffner of Page County Va., Rothgeb of Page County Va. Microfilmed 2003. FHL Collection 1573546 Item 65
- [Miller] Campbell, Judith A. The Miller Family: of Page County, Virginia, Descendants of Anna Mary Miller Printz, Katherine Miller Shaffer, Frances Miller Printz, Henry H. Miller, Philip Miller & John Miller Jr. Rileyville, Va.: J.A. Campbell, 1994. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 M612cj.
- [Newman] Boogher, William F. Gleanings of Virginia History: An Historical and Genealogical Collection, Largely from Original Sources. Washington: n.p., 1903. Available at FHL; digital version at Google Books (full-view). [Includes a chapter titled "Genealogy of the Newman Family, 1618-1900," see Table of Contents; discusses Newmans of Shenandoah County.]
- [Oakley] Oakley, Eura and Betty Sellers. The George Oakley Family of Loudoun and Shenandoah Counties, Va. and Some of His Descendants. Melber, Ky.: Simmons Historical Publications, 2000. FHL Collection 929.273 Oa4oe
- [Pence] Pence, Kingsley Adolphus. The History of Judge John Pence and Descendants, Born in Shenandoah County, Virginia, January 15, 1775: Resided in Champaign County, Ohio, Bartholomew County, Indiana, and Henderson County, Illinois. Denver, Colo.: K.A. Pence, 1912. FHL Collection 1697859 Item 4; digital version at Ancestry ($); another digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Pence] Carson, Beatrice. Pence Family Genealogy: Descendants of Henry, Jacob and Lewis Pence, Shenandoah County, Va. and Champaign County, Ohio, 1740-1900. Typescript, 1975. FHL Collection 1035531 Item 6; FHL Collection 929.273 P372c
- [Pence] Carson, Beatrice. Pence Genealogy: A History of the Pences of Shenandoah County, Virginia, Who Migrated to Champaign County, Ohio, [16--]-1967. FHL Collection 929.273 P372b
- [Pence] Malott, Eva, Ada McPhilliamy, and Dick Pence. Digging Our Roots: The Pence Kids. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 P372a.
- [Plumlee] Houp, J. Randall. The Descendants of Isaac & Margaret (Bradshaw) Plumlee, White County, Tennessee. Alma, Ark.: J. Randall Houp, 1991. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P735h.
- [Rittger] Rorabaugh, Joyce. Those Roving Rittgers. Volume One. Bowie, Md., 1998. FHL Book 929.273 R515r.
- [Ruddell] Smutz, Harold Turk. John Ruddell of the Shenandoah Valley: His Children and Grandchildren. Webster Groves, Mo.?: unknown, 1974. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Rudolph] Blum, Willetta Baylis and William Blum. The Rudolph Family of Virginia. Washington, D.C., 1962.
- [Sheffer] Smith, Russell Gilbert. The Sheffer Family of Shenandoah County, Virginia: Jacob Schaeffer, Emigrant Ancestors, Married Twice: December 30, 1728--December 30, 1944, 10 Generations, 216 Years, 7 Generations Still Living. Staunton, Va.: Wright Printing, 1944. FHL Collection 1320635 Item 57
- [Skelton] Skelton, Earl F. "The Skeltons of Colonial Virginia," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 2 (August/September 1994):86-100; Vol. 3, No. 3 (November/December 1994):151-162. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Slack] Slack, Mary Louise McCarthy. The Slack Family, 1753-1981. Cullman, Ala.: M.M. Slack, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 SL11sm.
- [Spitler] Central New York Genealogical Society. Six Generation Ancestor Tables, Bicentennial Project. 2 vols. Syracuse, N.Y., 1976-1977. FHL Book 974.76 D2c v. 1-v. 2.
- [Stover] Adamson, Lorena Blanche. "David Stover Family of Shenandoah County, Virginia," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 26 (1938):61-62.
- [Stover] Eagleson, Pamela Stone. In Search of an Ancestry, the Stone-Shearmire Family History. Kennebunk, Me.: P.S. Eagleson, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 St72e.
- [Swartz] Swartz, Phillip Allen. The Swartz Family of the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: P.A. Swartz, 1955. FHL Collection 929.273 Sw26a
- [Swartz] Swartz, Benjamin Kinsell. The Descendants of John Swartz, Sr., 1760?-1817 of Saumsville Shenandoah County, Virginia. Typescript. FHL Collection 929.273 Sw26b
- [Tipton] Tomlinson, Kenneth C. Colonel John Tipton and Captain Jonathan Pugh of Shenandoah County, Virginia and Washington County, Tennessee: Some of Their Descendants Represented by Members of the Tipton, Pugh, Barnett and Related Families. Portland, Ore.: K.C. Tomlinson, 1924. FHL Collection 1320635 Item 93
- [Windle] Johnson, Patricia Craig. The James Henry Windle Family of Creston, Union County, Iowa: 1867-1923. Fort Collins, Colo.: P.C. Johnson, 2007. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 W723j.
- [Wolfe] Prewitt, Lela Wolfe. The Wolfe, Hawkins-Sheets-Yates-Wheeler and Allied Families. Fairfield, Iowa, 1964.
- [Wood] Lawler, Leo G. and Hazel P. Lawler. Nehemiah Wood of Shenandoah County, Virginia with Forebear, Descendants, and Allied Families. Fredericksburg, Va.: Hazeleo Publishers, 1980. FHL Collection 929.273 W85LL
- [Wyatt] Peters, Genevieve E. John Wyatt of Loudoun, Shenandoah, and Franklin Counties, Virginia. FHL Collection 929.273 W97p. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- ↑ John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback