Shireshead, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
CLEVELY, a township, partly in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, but chiefly in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, union of Garstang, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Garstang; containing 124 inhabitants. It comprises 617 acres, the whole the property of the Duke of Hamilton. At Shire's Head, or Shire Side, is a chapel built of stone in 1800, on the site of a former edifice which had fallen into utter ruin: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Cockerham; net income, £93. A school has been erected on ground given by the duke.
 
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 632-635. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50883 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
+
Shireshead St James (formerly St Paul) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1747 from  [[Cockerham,_Lancashire]] Ancient Parish.
 +
 
 +
Other places in the parish include: Claverley.
 +
 
 +
The chapelry of St Paul was founded in 1520 but closed in 1889 when the parish of St James was created.
 +
 
 +
SHIRESHEAD, or Shirehead, a chapelry in Garstang and Cockerham parishes, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 1¾ mile N by E of Scorton r. station, and 4 N by E of Garstang. Post town, Garstang. Pop., 397. Houses, 95. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of Cockerham. The church is modern. <br>John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
CLEVELY, a township, partly in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, but chiefly in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, union of Garstang, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Garstang; containing 124 inhabitants. It comprises 617 acres, the whole the property of the Duke of Hamilton. At Shire's Head, or Shire Side, is a chapel built of stone in 1800, on the site of a former edifice which had fallen into utter ruin: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Cockerham; net income, £93. A school has been erected on ground given by the duke.
 +
 
 +
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 632-635. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50883 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==

Revision as of 18:34, 29 November 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Contents

Chapelry History

Shireshead St James (formerly St Paul) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1747 from  Cockerham,_Lancashire Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Claverley.

The chapelry of St Paul was founded in 1520 but closed in 1889 when the parish of St James was created.

SHIRESHEAD, or Shirehead, a chapelry in Garstang and Cockerham parishes, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 1¾ mile N by E of Scorton r. station, and 4 N by E of Garstang. Post town, Garstang. Pop., 397. Houses, 95. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of Cockerham. The church is modern.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)



CLEVELY, a township, partly in the parish of Cockerham, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, but chiefly in the parish of Garstang, hundred of Amounderness, union of Garstang, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Garstang; containing 124 inhabitants. It comprises 617 acres, the whole the property of the Duke of Hamilton. At Shire's Head, or Shire Side, is a chapel built of stone in 1800, on the site of a former edifice which had fallen into utter ruin: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Cockerham; net income, £93. A school has been erected on ground given by the duke.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 632-635. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50883 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.