From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 2:||Line 2:|
== Chapelry History ==
== Chapelry History ==
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 107-110. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51278
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 107-110. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51278 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
Revision as of 17:57, 29 November 2010
Silverdale St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1754 from chapelry in Warton_(near_Lancaster),_Lancashire Ancient Parish.
The Victorian novelist Elizabeth Gaskell (1810–1865) regularly holidayed in Silverdale and is said to have written some of her works in Lindeth Tower in the village; the Gaskell Memorial Hall in the centre of the village is named after her. The English poet Gordon Bottomley (1874–1948) lived in Silverdale in later life.
The parish church of St John is a Grade 2* listed building, built in 1885-86. The Methodist church was also built in the 19th century. Silverdale is within the Anglican Diocese of Blackburn, the Catholic Diocese of Lancaster and the Lancaster Methodist Circuit.
SILVERDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Warton, union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Yealand-Conyers; containing 252 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is beautifully situated on Morecambe bay, comprises 1087 acres, of a good soil, with a limestone substratum. It commands views of the Lake mountains, of the district of Furness, of Fleetwood, and the coast towards Liverpool. There are evident indications of copper, and mines have been wrought in the immediate neighbourhood, though not with much success. Challan Hall, with 150 acres of land around it, is the property of Thomas Rodick, Esq.; and Hill House and the adjacent land belong to Thomas Inman, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Warton; net income, £80. The chapel, erected in 1679, was rebuilt in 1829, and contains 320 sittings, of which 140 are free. On the common was formerly a large rocking-stone, 37 feet in circumference and 10 feet in height; "but," observes Mr. King, "this has been thrown off its equipoise, and moves no longer."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 107-110. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51278 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback