Singleton, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Singleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1754 from chapelry in Kirkham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Great Singleton, Pool Foot, and Little Singleton.
Singleton's parish church is St Anne's, designed by Lancaster architect Edward Graham Paley and completed in 1861. It has been designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage
SINGLETON-in-the-Fylde, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkham, union of the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Poulton; consisting of Great and Little Singleton, and containing 391 inhabitants. Singleton is mentioned in the Domesday survey, and was once the property of a family of the local name. Edmund Dudley, who was attainted and executed in 1510, possessed Little Singleton; and in the 13th of Henry VIII., Thomas, Earl of Derby, doubtless by grant of the escheat, held that manor of the king. In the last century, the manor of Great Singleton had come to the Fanshaw family, from whom it passed to that of Cunliffe-Shaw; and was sold by William CunlifFe-Shaw, Esq., to Joseph Hornby, Esq., of Ribby Hall. The chapelry is bounded on the north by the river Wyre, and comprises 2538 acres of land, equally divided between arable and pasture. A fair for sheep is held on September 21st. Bank Field, in Little Singleton, is the property of Mrs. Harrison; and Maines Hall, in the same district, the residence of Captain Harrison, late H. E. I. C. S. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Hugh Hornby, Esq., sole proprietor, and lord of the manor, of Great Singleton; net income, £110. The tithes have been commuted for £43. 5. payable to the vicar of Kirkham, and £353. 11. 6. to the Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford. The chapel, dedicated to St. Anne, was rebuilt in 1809, by the father of the patron, at a cost of £3000; it is a neat structure with a square tower, and has seven windows of painted glass. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 110-113. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51279 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire_BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.