Smith County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Smith County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Smith County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|County Seat||Smith Center|
|Address|| Smith County Courthouse|
218 S. Grant Street
Smith Center, Kansas 66967-2798
Smith County Courthouse
218 S Grant Street
Smith Center, KS 66967
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1875.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records from 1875.
County Clerk has land records from 1872. 
1867--Smith County was created 26 February 1867 from unorganized territory.County seat: Smith Center 
- Smith Center
Plat Book, Smith County, Kansas, 1900, Northwest Publishing Co. This atlas shows maps of each township with the names of landowners. It has a patrons' directory and plats of towns as of the year of publication.
Smith County was organized after the Civil War.
Societies and Libraries
Smith Center Public Library: Library holdings can be searched in Pathfinder Central. The library may have cataloged unique items related to genealogy and local history, in addition to published works for this area.
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Smith County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Smith County, Kansas page 256, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Kansas Memory, Kansas Historical Society