Smith County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Smith County Courthouse
Main St; PO Box 39
Raleigh, MS 39153
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1912 and court records.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate, land and military records from 1892. 
1833--Smith County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Raleigh 
For tips on accessing Smith County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Smith County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Smith County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company B - Nixon’s Company
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Lowry Rifles
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Yankee Terrors
- Company C - True Confederates [also listed as Co. D]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Smith County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).