Smith County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Smith County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Smith County Courthouse
Main St; PO Box 39
Raleigh, MS 39153
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1912 and court records.
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate, land and military records from 1892. 
1833--Smith County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Raleigh 
For tips on accessing Smith County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Smith County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Smith County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company B - Nixon’s Company
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Lowry Rifles
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Yankee Terrors
- Company C - True Confederates [also listed as Co. D]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Smith County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.