Smyth County, Virginia Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- See also the main article on genealogical research in Smyth County, Virginia.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Alder] Taft, Kingsley Arter. The Descendents of Peter Alder (ca. 1788--Sept. 3, 1873) and Mahala Rickey (ca. 1795--1860's). Knoxville, Tenn.: K. Taft, [199-?]. FHL Collection
- [Bishop] Roseberry, Greg E. The Elbert Howell -- Bertha Burnop Family of Floyd, Smyth, and Montgomery Counties, Virginia: Including the Burnop, Duncan, Fischbach, Hanks, Heimbach, Holtzclaw, Howell, Hylton, Morricle, Otterbach, Pratt, Stuell, Vaughan, and Weddle Families. Lincoln, Nebraska: Writers Club Press, c2002. FHL Collection
- [Burnop] See Bishop.
- [Catron] See Alder.
- [Colley] Boardman, Elizabeth Joye Mabe. Thomas Colley Family: Russell County, Virginia; Washington County, Virginia; Dickenson County, Virginia; Buchanan County, Virginia; Smyth County, Virginia. [Palm Coast, Florida]: J. Boardman, 2001. FHL Collection; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Copenhaver] Copenhaver, Mildred Manton, Robert Madison Copenhaven, and Robert Madison Copenhaver Memorial Committee. The Copenhaver Family History of Smyth county, Virginia: A Family Record of Some of the Descendants of Frederick Copenhaver. Marion, Virginia: Robert Madison Copenhaver Memorial Committee, c1981. FHL Collection; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Gillespie] Trimble, David B. Buchanan and Gillespie of Southwest Virginia. Austin, Texas: D.B. Trimble, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Gollehon] Sturgill, Kenneth L. A Southern Family in the Civil War. n.p.: K.L. Sturgill, 1993. FHL Collection
- [Johnson] Yates, William Allen. Johnson Genealogy: Descendants of George W. Johnson of Scott County, Virginia and Rockcastle County, Kentucky and Descendants of Benjamin Johnson of Smyth County, Virginia. Stevensville, Montana: W.A. Yates, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Kestner] Hockett, Thomas Jack and Janice M. Snead. Kestner, Kästner, Kaestner, Kesner, Kisner, Kissner, Kesnor, Casnor, Casner, Cisner, Etc., Family - Washington and Smith Counties, VA: (With Emphasis on the Family of Rachel Kestner m. Oliver Snead). St. Davids, Pa.: T.J. Hockett, 1992. FHL Collection
- [Ketron] See Alder.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Smyth County appears in Vol. 2 Part 4]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Smythe [sic] County appears in Vol. 2]
- [Poston] Hockett, Thomas Jack. Some Descendants of John Poston of England: The Poston/Posten/Pasten/Paston Family in Washington County and Smyth County, Virginia. St. Davids, Pennsylvania: J. Hockett, 1994. FHL Collection; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Richardson] Blanck, Marilyn Mullinix. Searching for Buckeye Billy's Roots: An Exhaustive Attempt to Search Out the Background of William Richardson of Smyth County, Virginia, with Pointers Toward the Origins of Many Other Richardson Families of Virginia, Tennessee and Other Southern States. Alhambra, Ca.: M.M. Blanck, 2010. FHL Collection
- [Scott] Thomas, LaVerne and Kay Lee Wrage Gunn. The Scotts of Southwest Virginia: Descendants of the James & Rachel Scott of Wythe/Smyth County and Ten Other Early Lines. 3 vols. Marion, Virginia: Dean Tucker Printing, c1999. FHL Collection; digital versions of Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3, courtesy: Family History Archives.
- [Wimer] Weimer, Robert E., Weimer Genealogical Center (Albuquerque, New Mexico), and Mary W. Dixon. The Weimer Family: As Known to 1974 [and Beyond]. Multi-volume. Albuquerque, New Mexico: Weimer Genealogical Center, 1975-. FHL Collection; digital version at Family History Archives.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More