South Africa, Eastern Cape, Estate Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: South Africa, Eastern Cape, Estate Files, 1962-2004 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Suid-Afrika, Oos-Kaap, Boedel Lêers
This collection contains records for the years 1962-2004.
The records include images of copies of primary genealogical records such as death notices, marriage certificates, birth certificates, and wills, from the probate estate files located in the Master of the High Court Offices in Grahamstown. This collection is being published as images become available.
For a list of records by dates and file number currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
The estate file records in this collection may contain the following information:
- Name and age of deceased
- Birthplace and nationality of deceased
- Names of parents
- Date and place of death
- Occupation and marital status of deceased
- Name of spouse and death date if deceased
How to Use the Record
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Name of ancestor
- Approximate year of death
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page:
⇒Select the appropriate "Year"
⇒Select the appropriate "File Number" which will take you to the images
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Dutch, Afrikaans, and English. For help with reading the records, see the following wiki article:
Using the information
When you have found the ancestor that you are looking for, the following will help you further your research:
- Use the ages on the marriage or death records to calculate a birth year for the bride and groom. This will make it easier for you to find the names of the parents for your ancestor.
- The marriage place may be the birth place for the bride or groom. To find this, calculate the ages to get both of their birth years (bride and groom), and search for the bride and groom’s birthplaces with the birth year that you have found.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: South Africa, Eastern Cape, Estate Files, 1962-2004
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "South Africa, Eastern Cape, Estate Files, 1962-2004" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Department Justice and Constitutional Development, Grahamstown.