South Africa, Natal Province, Civil Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
| text = "South Africa, Natal Province Marriage Index, 1845-1955" Index and Images. Citing Natal State Archives, Arcadia, Pretoria. Index supplied by Durban Berea South Africa Family History Centre.
| text = "South Africa, Natal Province Marriage Index, 1845-1955" Index and Images. Citing Natal State Archives, Arcadia, Pretoria. Index supplied by Durban Berea South Africa Family History Centre.}}
[[South Africa, Natal Province
[[South Africa, Natal Province(FamilySearch Historical Records)#Citation_Example_for_a_Record_Found_in_This_Collection|Suggested citation format for a record in this collection.]]
== Record Content ==
== Record Content ==
Revision as of 17:26, 16 July 2013
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Title in the Language of the Record
Suid-Afrika, Natal Provinsie Huwelik Index.
These records include an index with images of marriage records from the Natal Province of South Africa.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "South Africa, Natal Province Marriage Index, 1845-1955" Index and Images. FamilySearch https://familysearch.org accessed : 2013. Citing Natal State Archives, Arcadia, Pretoria. Index supplied by Durban Berea South Africa Family History Centre.
These marriage records generally contain the following information
- Date of marriage
- Full name of bride and groom
- Ages of bride and groom
- Residence at the time of marriage
- Name of Judge
- Names of witnesses
How to Use the Record
To begin your search, it would be helpful if you knew the following information:
- Ancestors name
- Approximate year of birth
- Place of birth
Search this Collection
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have found your ancestor's marriage certificate, you can do the following:
- Use the ages to calculate the birth year from the time of marriage.
- Use the residence of the bride or groom to search for birth records to indicate if your ancestor was born at the place of the marriage.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.