South Carolina OccupationsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The cotton industry was very important to South Carolina's economy. Cotton mills experienced tremendous growth in the state following the Civil War. An 1880 directory describes the state's cotton mills:
- The Cotton Mills of South Carolina. Their Names, Location, Capacity and History [From the News and Courier, of Charleston, S.C.] Charleston, S.C.: The News and Courier Book Presses, 1880. Digital version at Google Books.
- Waring, Joseph Ioor. A History of Medicine in South Carolina, 1670-1825. 3 vols. Spartanburg, S.C.: Reprint Co., 1964-1971. FHL has vols. 1 & 3: FHL Book 975.7 H2wj
- Cheres, Langdon. South Carolina Governors: With Drawings of Arms of Some of the Colonial Governors of South Carolina, 1702-1766. Microfilmed 1952: FHL Film 22785
- Whisker, James B. Gunsmiths of the Carolinas, 1660-1870. Lewiston, N.Y.: Edwin Mellen Press, 1993. FHL Book 975 U2w
For histires, see:
- Brooks, U.R. South Carolina Bench and Bar. Columbia, S.C.: The State Company, 1906. Digital version of Volume 1 at Google Books.
- Canady, Hoyt P. Gentlemen of the Bar, Lawyers in Colonial South Carolina. New York: Garland Pub., 1987. FHL Book 975.7 U2c
For biographies, see:
- O'Neall, John Belton. Biographical Sketches of the Bench and Bar of South Carolina. 2 vols. Charleston, S.C.: S.G. Courtenay & Co., Publishers, 1859. FHL Films 874199 Item 3, 962806 Item 1; digital version of Volume 1 at Internet Archive; digital version of Volume 2 at Google Books. Ancestry ($) has created a database covering both volumes.
- Scarborough, Quincy. Carolina Metalworkers: Coppersmiths, Pewterers, Tinsmiths of North Carolina and South Carolina. Fayetteville, N.C.: Q. Scarborough, 1995. FHL Book 975 U2s
Rice plantations formed much of South Carolina's economy. Slaves performed the manual labor before the Civil War. See [[South Carolina African Americans].
For a history, see:
- Burton, E. Milby. South Carolina Silversmiths, 1690-1860. Charleston, S.C.: Charleston Museum, 1942. FHL Book 975.7 U23d