South Dakota PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most family history periodicals publish transcriptions of local sources used in genealogical research. Information published in periodicals may include family histories, genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census indexes, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, military records, obituaries, and wills. Often published by genealogical or historical societies, they typically focus on the records of a particular county, while a few may specialize in records of a particular ethnic group or religion. Among the periodicals at the Family History Library are:
- Hallman, Clark N. & McGruer, Jean. A Survey of South Dakota Periodicals. Alexandria, Virginia: Eric Document Reproduction Service, 1984. (Family History Library microfiche 6078467.) "This survey describes 40 periodicals which are published in South Dakota. Bibliographic information for each title is provided along with an annotation describing the usefulness of the publication. The publications reveal the uniqueness of South Dakota's rural and flourishing cultural and academic interests. The survey includes those periodicals which are believed to be of interest to people outside South Dakota"-- Abstract.
- South Dakota Genealogical Society Quarterly.Pierre, South Dakota: South Dakota Genealogical Society, 1982-. (Family History Library book 978.3 D25s.)
- Black Hills Nuggets.Pierre, South Dakota: Rapid City Society for Genealogical Research, 1968-.
(Family History Library book 978.393/R1 B2b; film 1698196 items 1-16, Volumes 1-17; 1698197 items 1-9, Volumes 18-26.)
- The Dakota Homestead Historical Newsletter (formerly: Bismarck-Mandan Historical and Genealogical Society).Bismarck, South Dakota: Bismarck-Mandan Historical and Genealogical Society, 1972-. (Family History Library book 978.477 B2b.)
- Pioneer Pathfinder.Sioux Falls, South Dakota: Sioux Valley Genealogical Society, 1975-. (Family History Library book 978.3371/S1 B2p.) A quarterly of the Sioux Valley Genealogical Society.
- Germans from Russia Historical Society. Germans from Russia Historical Society News.Bismarck, North Dakota: Germans from Russia Heritage Society, 1984-. (Family History Library book 978.4 F25n.) Library holdings begin with vol. 84, issue 3 (Nov. 1984) - vol. 2006, issue 4 (Dec. 2006).
- The Tree Climber. Aberdeen, South Dakota: Aberdeen Area Genealogical Society, 1974. (Family History Library book 978.3144/A1 D25t.) This is the newsletter of the Aberdeen Area Genealogical Society.
Indexes. Some of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue for the year. For nationwide indexes to other family history periodicals, see the "Periodicals" section of the United States Research Outline.
The Periodical Source Index (PERSI) book and microfiche indexes are especially useful since they refer to countless items published in thousands of English and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The compact disc version, which merges all 29 PERSI volumes published through 1997 into one search, is:
Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987–. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; fiche 6016863 [set of 40(1847 to 1985]); fiche 6016864 [set of 15(1986 to 1990); compact disc no.61]). For further details, see the Periodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119). PERSI is also available on the Internet for a subscription fee at both http://www.ancestry.com and http://www.heritagequestonline.com.
For more family history periodicals, search the Family History Library Catalog by using a Locality Search under:
SOUTH DAKOTA - PERIODICALS
SOUTH DAKOTA - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
SOUTH DAKOTA - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
SOUTH DAKOTA, [COUNTY]- PERIODICALS
SOUTH DAKOTA, [COUNTY]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
SOUTH DAKOTA, [COUNTY], [TOWN]- PERIODICALS
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More