Southampton County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Southampton County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Southampton County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 50 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Southampton County families include:
- Chapman, Blanche Adams and Isle of Wight County Library (Virginia). Smithfield Branch. Chapman Collection of Virginia Family Names, Smithfield Branch, Isle of Wight County Library, 1635-1814. Original records in the Blanche Adams Chapman Collection, Smithfield Branch, Isle of Wight County Library, Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- Doyle, Stuart W. Roots Exposed the Lineage and Interrelationships of 15 Family Branches from Virginia's Sussex, Southampton and Greensville Counties. [Orlando, Fla.?]: S.W. Doyle, 2002. FHL Collection 929.273 D772ds [Includes Clanton, Graves, Heath, Hill, Hunnicutt, Maine, Massenburg, Reese, Seaborne, Smith, Vaughn, West, Wright and related families.]
- Joyner, Ulysses P. They Crossed the Blackwater: The First Settlers of Southhampton County Virginia. Orange, Virginia: U.P. Joyner, 2001/2003. Available at FHL; another edition is also available at FHL.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Southampton County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- [Barham] Joyner, Ulysses P. From the Pagan to the Nottoway: The Occupation of the Land by the Europeans 1607-1800. Orange, Va.: U.P. Joyner, 2008. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 975.55 H2j.
- [Batte] Hamiln, Charles Hughes. "Batte and Allied Families: Genealogical Research Reports to a Client," The National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 1 (Mar. 1972):8-12; Vol. 60, No. 2 (June 1972):103-107; Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):207-212. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Beale] Claypool, Edward A. Brief Record of the Descendants of Robert Beale. Typescript; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Blake] Blake, Marlene. The Blakes of the Cape Fear. 5 vols. 2000?. Vols. 3-5 available at FHL.
- [Bowden] Bowden, Daniel J. The Bowdens of Southampton County, Virginia. Indianola, WA: D.J. Bowden, 1985. Available at FHL.
- [Branch] Ford, Ethel Taylor. Thomas Taylor and Benjamin Branch of Nashville, Tennessee and Related Families. Amarillo, Texas: E.T. Ford, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Browne] Hollowell, Lucy Elliott. The Descendants of Dr. Samuel Browne of Bertie, Northampton, Herford Counties, North Carolina. Woodland, N.C.: L.E. Hollowell, 1972. Available at FHL.
- [Darden] Stonecypher, May Muse. Elizabeth Darden Tucker. Albany, Georgia: M.M. Stonecypher, 2001. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Davis] Rawlings, Michael R. The Family History of D'earcy Paul and Lula Virginia (McKenney) Davis of Dinwiddie, Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties in Virginia: Being a Genealogical Outline of Their Descendants Covering the Years 1858-1996 and Assorted Sketches of Family Social History from the 1780s through the Present, Including Eight Generations. Spring Grove, Va.: M.W. Rawlings, 1996. Available at FHL.
- [Denson] Joyner, Peggy S. Jordan Denson ( -1806): Some of His Ancestors and Descendants and "Beechwood", Denson-Pretlow- Darden Ancestral Home, Southampton County, Virginia. Portsmouth, Virginia: P.S. Joyner, 1978. Available at FHL.
- [Drake] Drake, Robert Eldon. Descendants of Exum Drake. 5 vols. Orlando, Florida: R.E. Drake, 1977-. Vols. 3-5 available at FHL.
- [Drake] Dabbs, Miriam Adair. The Families of Matthew Bolivar and Sarah E. Richardson Drake. Clarksdale, Mississippi: M.A. Dabbs, 1984. Available at FHL.
- [Edmunds] Edmunds, Mary Stuart Green. "Edmunds Family," Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 17 (1935-1936):59-63, 111-117, 193-199. Reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Volume I: Albidgton-Gerlache. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1981. Free Name Search; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical.com; FHL Book 975.5 D2gvf v. 1.
- [Edwards] Edwards, Howell B. Edwards of Virginia and Georgia. Grants Pass, Oregon: H.B. Edwards, 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Flowers] Flowers, Loris. The Indian Branch and Swift Creek Flowers: Descendants of John Flowers. Darlington, South Carolina: L. Flowers, 2001?. Available at FHL.
- [Fly] Fly, James Whitney. Fly Family. 5 vols. Montgomery, Alabama: J.W. Fly, 1990-1992. Available at FHL.
- [Fly] Fly, James Whitney. Fly Family History. 8 vols. Montgomery, Alabama: J.W. Fly, 1998. Available at FHL.
- [Gurley] Gurley, A.E. and John Miller Bradley. Some of the Genealogical Notes Collected by the late A. E. Gurley, ca.1700-1937. Typescript, 1951. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1968?. Available at FHL.
- [Harris] Wiggins, Kathryn. The Harris Papers: A Genealogical Notebook. 34 vols. 2nd ed.? Camarillo, Calif.: K. Wiggins, 1970?-1971. Available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Haithcock] See Hathcock.
- [Hasty] Hasty, Warren H. William Jordan Hasty and Descendants. Minneapolis, Minn.: W.H. Hasty, 2004. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Hasty] Hasty, Warren H. Matthew Hasty and Descendants of Martin County, North Carolina. Minneapolis, Minn.: W.H. Hasty, 2005. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [Hathcock] A Research Note on the Origins of the Hathcock / Heathcock / Haithcock Families of Southampton County, Virginia 1740 - 1840. Original typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library in Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Heathcock] See Hathcock.
- [Ingram] Barnum, Dorothy Jeter. The James and Mary Kendall Ingram Family. Moultrie, Georgia: D.J. Barnum, c1988. Available at FHL.
- [Johnston] Johnston, Coy K. and Hugh Buckner Johnston. William Johnston of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and His Descendants, 1648-1964: A Genealogical Study of One Branch of the Family in the South. West Hartford, Connecticut: Coy K. Johnston, 1965. Available at FHL.
- [Joyner] Joyner, Ulysses P. Joyner of Southampton: A Study of Thomas Joyner of Isle of Wight County, Virginia and His Descendants in Eastern Virginia and North Carolina with Emphasis on the Joyners of Southampton County, Virginia. Verona, Va.: McClure Printing, 1975. Available at FHL.
- [Lanier] Ingersoll, Louise. Lanier: A Genealogy of the Family Who Came to Virginia and Their French Ancestors in London. Washington, D.C.: Goetz Printing Company, 1965. Digital version at World Vital Records ($).
- [Lowe] Lowe, Elgin Madison. Origin of the Lowe Family of Southampton County, Virginia, 1814-1993. 1994. Available at FHL.
- [Lumley] Francis, Don. The Lumley - Lumbley Surname of Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties, Virginia, 1730-1785. New York, New York: D. Francis, 1981. Available at FHL.
- [Massengill] Butler, Florence Roberta Walker. The Massengills: of Whitby, England, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. n.p.: R.W. Butler, 2009. Available at FHL.
- [Persons] Walker, George Fuller. Persons Lineage. Atlanta, Ga., 1951.
- [Persons] Livingston, Virginia Pope. "Two William Persons of Virginia: Some Corrections of Walker's Persons Lineage," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1967):147-155. FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 11; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Pope] Austin, Jeannette H. Pope Genealogy. Riverdale, Ga.: J.H. Austin, 1987?. Available at FHL.
- [Powell] Berryman, Ann Williamson. Powell Families of Isle of Wight County and Southampton County Virginia: Three Generations, Thomas, William and Elizabeth Powell. 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Reese] Reese, Dora Hart. Norton W. Hart Family Tree. 1981?. Available at FHL.
- [Ridley] Futrell, Katherine K. and Southampton County Historical Society (Virginia). The Southampton Ridleys: Their Contributions to the Growth and Development of Southampton County. Typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library, Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm at FHL.
- [Ridley] Hart, Lyndon H. and Bromfield Bradford Nichol. Ridley of Southampton: Being the Descendants of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Day Ridley of Southampton, then Isle of Wight County, Virginia, circa 1700-1992. Pensacola, Florida: B.B. Nichol, 1992. Available at FHL.
- [Rose] Rose, Christine. Abstracts of Early Virginia Rose Estates: Wills, Inventories, Accounts and Administrator's Bonds before 1850. San Jose, Calif.: Rose Family Bulletin, 1972. FHL US/CAN Book 975.5 A1 no. 56; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- [Slade] Slade, James L. Samuel Slade of Southampton County, Virginia: Ten Generations of His Descendants 1750-2007. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: J.L. Slade, 2008. Available at FHL.
- [Taylor] Taylor Family of Southampton County, Va., Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 22, p. 46; Vol. 23, pp. 104, 218, 323, 435; Vol. 24, pp. 102, 213.
- [Taylor] Duke, Walter Garland. Henry Duke, Councilor, His Descendants and Connections. Richmond, Va.: Dietz Press, 1949. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 D885d.
- [Thorp] Nelson, Margaret Van Ness. Summary of Information about the Norman Barnes Thorp Family from Southampton County, Virginia and Clinton County, Ohio. Powell, Ohio: M.V. Nelson, 1991. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Vick, John L., Benjamin David Vick, and Virginia Vick King. A Short Sketch of the Vick Family. Originally recorded in nineteenth or early twentieth century, copied in 1939, recopied in 1967. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Perrin, James M. Reverend Newit Vick, Founder of Vicksburg, Mississippi: His Ancestry, Relatives, and Descendants. Hammond, Louisiana: J.M. Perrin, 1990. Available at FHL.
- [Vick] Adkisson, Floy Jean. Vick Family History. Kerrville, Tex.: F.J. Adkisson, 1990. Available at FHL.
- [Wellons] Wellons, James Willis. A Historical Sketch of the Wellons Family. Richmond, Va.: Central Publishing Company, 1910. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives.
- [West] Stone, Letta Brock and Leonardo Andrea. West Genealogical Research, 1550-1950. Manuscript collection; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- [Westbrook] Jones, Blair. Westbrook and Allied Families (Foster, Barker, Fort, Sandefur, Lambert-h, Hanson. Pell City, Ala., 1967. FHL Book 929.273 W521j.
- [Whitehead] Davis, Eliza Timberlake. Whitehead Family of Isle of Wight and Southampton County, Virginia. Original typescript, Smithfield Branch of the Isle of Wight Library in Smithfield, Va.; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- [Whitehead] Dimond, E. Grey. The Reverend William W. Whithead, Mississippi Pioneer, His Antecedents and Descendants: Including Some Notes Concerning the Whiteheads of the Isle of Wight and Southampton;, Virginia; Edgecombe, Halifax, Nash and Wake, North Carolina; Wayne, Indiana Territory; La Porte, Indiana; Points West; and Those Massacred in the Nat Turner Slave Uprising of 1831. Kansas City, Missouri: Diastole-Hospital Hill [and] E.G. Dimond, 1985. FHL Collection
- [Williamson] Dixon, Elizabeth Williamson. The Williamson Family of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, Southampton County, Virginia, Northampton County, North Carolina, Caswell County, North Carolina. Typescript, 1958; available on microfilm: FHL Collection
- ↑ Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback