Southport Holy Trinity, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - "== Reference<br>" to "== References")
m (Text replace - "Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above." to "{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}")
Line 60: Line 60:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
+
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
  
 
http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html<br>http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport<br>
 
http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html<br>http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport<br>

Revision as of 17:15, 31 May 2012

England  go to  Lancashire go to  Lancashire Parishes


Contents

Chapelry History

Prior to 1821, when Christ Church was built, the whole of  North Meols, Lancashire parish, which stretched from Hundred End in the North to the Birkdale/ Ainsdale boundary in the south, was served by the ancient church of St. Cuthbert, Church town, but the growth of Southport in the early 19th century made the provision of a second church essential, and for twelve years or so, Southport Christ Church, Lancashire seemed to meet the need. But the village continued to grow and expand in a northeasterly direction towards Manchester Road which was the main road to the Lancashire industrial towns, and for some years church services had been held in a small, thatched, barn-like building known as "Halls Chapel" which stood near the present Hall Street (and was demolished in about 1853).

It was evident that another church was necessary, and the Revd. Charles Hesketh, who came to North Meols as Rector in 1835, took immediate steps to provide additional church accommodation both in Southport and Crossens with the help of his brother Peter Fleetwood Hesketh, who was the Lord of the Manor. In October 1836 a bazaar was held in the Southport Assembly Rooms under the patronage of Queen Adelaide, in aid of "the provision of two additional churches and schools in the parish of North Meols". This raised a sum of £450 and the two churches, Trinity and St. John's Crossens, Lancashire were both built in the following year, from plans said to have been prepared by the Rector.

SOUTHPORT, in the parish of North Meols, union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 9 miles northwest from Ormskirk, and 20 north of Liverpool. There are two churches. Christ Church, was erected in 1820. [Holy] Trinity Church, was consecrated in November 1837. 

There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists; and a Roman Catholic chapel. The last, dedicated to Ste Marie-on-the-Sands, was built in 1840.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Transcripts for this parish are available.



Church records

Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England&nbsp;(1848), pp. 149-152. Adapted. Date accessed: 21 July 2010.