Southport Holy Trinity, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(seo paragraph; internal link)
(15 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]]  [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
+
[[England]]  [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]]  [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png|go to]]  [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
+
  
 +
Guide to '''Southport Holy Trinity, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Prior to 1821, when Christ Church was built, the whole of  [[North Meols, Lancashire]] parish, which stretched from Hundred End in the North to the Birkdale/ Ainsdale boundary in the south, was served by the ancient church of St. Cuthbert, Church town, but the growth of Southport in the early 19th century made the provision of a second church essential, and for twelve years or so, [[Southport Christ Church, Lancashire]] seemed to meet the need. But the village continued to grow and expand in a northeasterly direction towards Manchester Road which was the main road to the Lancashire industrial towns, and for some years church services had been held in a small, thatched, barn-like building known as "Halls Chapel" which stood near the present Hall Street (and was demolished in about 1853).  
+
Prior to 1821, when Christ Church was built, the whole of [[North Meols, Lancashire|North Meols]] parish, which stretched from Hundred End in the North to the Birkdale/ Ainsdale boundary in the south, was served by the ancient church of St. Cuthbert, Church town, but the growth of Southport in the early 19th century made the provision of a second church essential, and for twelve years or so, [[Southport Christ Church, Lancashire|Southport Christ Church]] seemed to meet the need. But the village continued to grow and expand in a northeasterly direction towards Manchester Road which was the main road to the Lancashire industrial towns, and for some years church services had been held in a small, thatched, barn-like building known as "Halls Chapel" which stood near the present Hall Street (and was demolished in about 1853).  
  
 
It was evident that another church was necessary, and the Revd. Charles Hesketh, who came to North Meols as Rector in 1835, took immediate steps to provide additional church accommodation both in Southport and Crossens with the help of his brother Peter Fleetwood Hesketh, who was the Lord of the Manor. In October 1836 a bazaar was held in the Southport Assembly Rooms under the patronage of Queen Adelaide, in aid of "the provision of two additional churches and schools in the parish of North Meols". This raised a sum of £450 and the two churches, Trinity and St. John's [[Crossens, Lancashire]] were both built in the following year, from plans said to have been prepared by the Rector. <br>  
 
It was evident that another church was necessary, and the Revd. Charles Hesketh, who came to North Meols as Rector in 1835, took immediate steps to provide additional church accommodation both in Southport and Crossens with the help of his brother Peter Fleetwood Hesketh, who was the Lord of the Manor. In October 1836 a bazaar was held in the Southport Assembly Rooms under the patronage of Queen Adelaide, in aid of "the provision of two additional churches and schools in the parish of North Meols". This raised a sum of £450 and the two churches, Trinity and St. John's [[Crossens, Lancashire]] were both built in the following year, from plans said to have been prepared by the Rector. <br>  
  
"SOUTHPORT, a sea-bathing place, in the parish of North Meols, union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 9 miles (N. W.) from Ormskirk, and 20 (N.) from Liverpool; containing, in 1841, 3346 inhabitants. It is situated at the mouth of the Ribble, on the shore of the Irish Sea, opposite to Lytham. Prior to 1792, the site of this improving village was a dreary sand-bank, at the lower end of a bay seventeen fathoms deep, which is now choked up with sand. The foundation of the prosperity of Southport, as a seabathing place, was laid by Mr. Sutton, of North Meols, who, appreciating its local advantages, built the first inn, called the Royal Hotel, in 1792; in a few years symptoms of prosperity began to appear, and some cottages were built in the vicinity of the hotel, on ground considerably elevated above the level of the sea. From this beginning the village gradually rose into importance, attaining its present celebrity from the influence of fashion, the easy communication with some of the principal towns of the county, and a salubrious air from which invalids derive essential benefit. It is now a favourite resort for sea-bathing, and possesses excellent accommodation for visiters. The houses are built of brick, a considerable number of them cemented, and many in the form of villas; there are several large hotels, and a number of good shops. Lords'-street, the principal street, is about a mile in length, very wide, and open, with gardens in front of the houses. The Victoria Baths, erected by subscription, form a handsome range of building with a colonnade in front, facing the sea; and attached is a fine terrace-walk of great extent. An assembly-room, newsroom, and libraries supply means of amusement and relaxation; and upwards of a hundred donkeys, and many convenient donkey-carriages, enable visiters to explore the neighbourhood, and enjoy the breezes on the shore. An act was obtained in 1846, for paving, lighting, and otherwise improving the place, and for establishing a market; and under its provisions Improvement Commissioners have been appointed. In 1847 an act was passed for a railway to Liverpool, through Crosby, 16½ miles in length; the line, being nearly level, is free from engineering difficulties. In the same year, another act was passed for a railway to Manchester, through Wigan. There are two churches. Christ Church, an unostentatious brick building with a tower, was erected in 1820, and enlarged in 1830: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. Charles Hesketh; net income, £107. '''''Trinity Church, in the early English style, was consecrated in November 1837''''', and enlarged in 1847: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a substantial parsonage-house; patrons, Trustees. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel. The last, dedicated to Ste. Marie-on-the-Sands, was built in 1840 from a design by Pugin, is in the early English style, and cost £1500: a house for the priest and a school-house are adjacent. A strangers' charity provides medical aid and bathing for the sick poor coming from a distance, and a dispensary affords aid to the local poor."
+
SOUTHPORT, a sea-bathing place, in the '''parish''' of North Meols, union of Ormskirk, hundred of WestDerby, S. division of Lancashire, 9 miles (N. W.)from Ormskirk, and 20 (N.) from Liverpool . It is situated at the mouth of the Ribble, on the shore of the Irish Sea, opposite to Lytham. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel. <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51289#s15 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152.''] Date accessed: 27 August 2013.</ref>
 
+
From: 'Southernby-Bound - Southwell-Park', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51289 Date accessed: 21 July 2010.
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 33: Line 31:
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
+
===== '''Online Records'''  =====
 +
 
 +
'''<u>Church of England</u>'''
 +
 
 +
Southport Holy Trinity chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of [[North Meols, Lancashire|North Meols]] to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
 +
 
 +
{| width="305" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC''' = [http://search.ancestry.co.uk Ancestry.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP''' = [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series FindMyPast.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG''' = [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl FreeReg]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS ''' = [http://familysearch.org FamilySearch.org]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' = [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk LancashireBMD.org.uk]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC''' = [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html Lancashire Online Parish Clerk]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
{| width="625" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="4" | '''SOUTHPORT&nbsp;HOLY TRINITY&nbsp;Chapelry (1837)&nbsp;Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Southport/Southport-Central/holytrinity/index.html '''1837-1879''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Southport/Southport-Central/holytrinity/index.html 1838-1879]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Southport/Southport-Central/holytrinity/index.html 1838-1887]'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1838-2010''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | '''[[North Meols, Lancashire|NORTH&nbsp;MEOLS&nbsp;ST&nbsp;CUTHBERT]]&nbsp;PARISH&nbsp;(1594) Indexes '''''(ancient parish containing SOUTHPORT&nbsp;HOLY&nbsp;TRINITY)''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1594-1838]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://familysearch.org%22%3e1541-1752/ 1602-1837]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/North-Meols/index.html '''1594-1835''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/North-Meols/index.html '''1600-1921''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/North-Meols/index.html '''1732-1911''']
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire 1837-2010]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None&nbsp;
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''&nbsp;
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1594-1837''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 '''1594-1837''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1594-1837]'''
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Southport Holy Trinity and comprising the whole ancient parish of North Meols to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the [[North Meols, Lancashire|NORTH&nbsp;MEOLS]]&nbsp;PARISH page.
 +
 
 +
<br>
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
+
{{British Census|306902}}
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
Line 60: Line 137:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above}}
 +
 
 +
http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html<br>http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport<br>
 +
 
 +
== References  ==
  
http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html<br>http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport<br><br>  
+
{{Reflist}}<br> {{Lancashire}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 04:34, 16 September 2013

England  go to  Lancashire go to  Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Southport Holy Trinity, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

Contents

Chapelry History

Prior to 1821, when Christ Church was built, the whole of North Meols parish, which stretched from Hundred End in the North to the Birkdale/ Ainsdale boundary in the south, was served by the ancient church of St. Cuthbert, Church town, but the growth of Southport in the early 19th century made the provision of a second church essential, and for twelve years or so, Southport Christ Church seemed to meet the need. But the village continued to grow and expand in a northeasterly direction towards Manchester Road which was the main road to the Lancashire industrial towns, and for some years church services had been held in a small, thatched, barn-like building known as "Halls Chapel" which stood near the present Hall Street (and was demolished in about 1853).

It was evident that another church was necessary, and the Revd. Charles Hesketh, who came to North Meols as Rector in 1835, took immediate steps to provide additional church accommodation both in Southport and Crossens with the help of his brother Peter Fleetwood Hesketh, who was the Lord of the Manor. In October 1836 a bazaar was held in the Southport Assembly Rooms under the patronage of Queen Adelaide, in aid of "the provision of two additional churches and schools in the parish of North Meols". This raised a sum of £450 and the two churches, Trinity and St. John's Crossens, Lancashire were both built in the following year, from plans said to have been prepared by the Rector.

SOUTHPORT, a sea-bathing place, in the parish of North Meols, union of Ormskirk, hundred of WestDerby, S. division of Lancashire, 9 miles (N. W.)from Ormskirk, and 20 (N.) from Liverpool . It is situated at the mouth of the Ribble, on the shore of the Irish Sea, opposite to Lytham. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and a Roman Catholic chapel. [1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

Transcripts for this parish are available.



Church records

Online Records

Church of England

Southport Holy Trinity chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of North Meols to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


SOUTHPORT HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1837) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS None None None
LOPC 1837-1879 1838-1879 1838-1887
LBMD None 1838-2010 None
NORTH MEOLS ST CUTHBERT PARISH (1594) Indexes (ancient parish containing SOUTHPORT HOLY TRINITY)
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1594-1838 1602-1837 None
LOPC 1594-1835 1600-1921 1732-1911
LBMD None 1837-2010 None 
AC  1594-1837 1594-1837 1594-1837


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Southport Holy Trinity and comprising the whole ancient parish of North Meols to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the NORTH MEOLS PARISH page.


Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306902.


Poor Law Unions

Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

http://www.holytrinitysouthport.org.uk/history.html
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-479098-church-of-holy-trinity-southport

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 149-152. Date accessed: 27 August 2013.