Spain Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Spain, Catholic Church Records, 1500-1930 and Spain, Granada, Pre-Marriage Investigation Index, 1556-1899.
Title in the Language of the Records
Registros Parroquiales de la Iglesia Católica en España.== Record Description ==
This collection of Catholic Church parish records of Spain covers 1500 through 1999. The collection includes records from the dioceses of Avila, Ciudad Real, Ciudad Rodrigo, Gerona, Lugo, Murcia, and Segovia. The Spain, Catholic Church Records collection spans from 1500 to 1930, while the Spain, Granada, Pre-Marriage Investigation Index covers 1556-1899.
Most of the records were handwritten in narrative style. In later years, the records may be handwritten in formatted registers. Entries were created in chronological order with the exception of a few entries. Early registers may have some ecclesiastical wording written in Latin, but the main language of the records is Spanish.
Parish priests performed the baptisms, marriages, deaths, burials, and other holy sacraments in their assigned parish or parishes. All the original parish records were kept in the parish archive, and a duplicate copy was and is centralized in the corresponding diocesan archive. Most of the parish records in Spain have been preserved relatively well, but some older entries may have some damage.
Usually separate registers were maintained for baptisms, marriages, and deaths. However, in localities with a small population, the records of baptisms, marriages, and burials were recorded in the same register. Confirmations were usually recorded with the baptismal registers but can also be found with deaths and marriages.
The Catholic Church parish registers were created to record the church sacraments of baptism, marriage, death and burial, and other ordinances pertaining to members within the church jurisdiction.
Catholic Church parish records are a reliable source for doing genealogical research in Spain.
For a list of records by localities currently published in the Spain, Catholic Church records, 1500-1930 collection, select the Browse.
Citation for This Collection:
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- Archbishoprics and Dioceses in Spain. Spain Catholic church records. Catholic parishes in Spain.
The key genealogical facts found in most baptism records include:
- Date and place of the event
- Name of the person baptized
- Date of birth or age at the time of baptism
- Parents’ names, residence, and places of birth
- Names of paternal and maternal grandparents and sometimes their residences or places of birth
- Name of godparents
- Names of the witnesses
The key genealogical facts found in most marriage records include:
- Date and place of the event
- Complete name of the bride and groom
- Civil statuses of the bride and groom (widowed, single, divorced) at the time of the event
- Residence or places of birth of the bride and groom
- Ages of the bride and groom at the time of the marriage
- Parents’ names and their residence or places of birth
- Sometimes the parents’ civil status at the time of the event
- Names of the witnesses
The key genealogical facts found on most burial records include:
- Date and place where the person died
- Name of the deceased
- Civil status of the deceased (single, married, widowed)
- Name of the spouse (if the deceased was married or a widow or widower)
- Residence or place of birth of the deceased
- Age at the time of death or date of birth
- Cause of death
- Sometimes an indication that the person left a testament
- Sometimes the names of the children left at the time of death
How to Use the Record
To search the collection with the browse you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the Nombre de Provincia
⇒ Select the Nombre de Ciudad o Pueblo
⇒ Select the Nombre de Parroquia
⇒ Select the Tipo de Registro y Años which takes you to the images.
To search the collection with the index: Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
The Catholic parish records are an excellent source for genealogical research in Spain. These may also be the only records available for vital information research before civil registration was implemented in 1871.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- Spain Catholic Church Records
- Spain Catholic Church Directories
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
Contributions to This Article
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citation Example for a Record Found in This Collection
"Spain, Catholic Church Records, 1500-1930." digital images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org: accessed 3 June 2011). Manuel Alonso Hernandez, 20 February 1796; citing Church Records, FHL microfilm 1,180,910; Catholic Church Diocesan Archive of Avila, Spain.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback