Spencer County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Spencer County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Spencer County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 10, 1818|
|Address|| Spencer County Courthouse|
200 Main Street
Rockport, IN 47635-1478
September 1833 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Spencer County, Indiana Resources
For tips on accessing Spencer County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Early Settlers of Spencer County, Indiana ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Index to Defective, Dependent Delinquent Census for Spencer County (1880) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and religious Groups
- History of Warrick, Spencer and Perry Counties, Indiana, from the earliest time to the present; together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. (1973. Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.) FHL US/CAN Film 934922 Item 4 FHL Collectionother librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
Land and Property
- African American Veterans in Spencer County, Indiana (1890) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
War of 1812
Civil War service men from Spencer County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Spencer County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company F
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies G, and M
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company H
- 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, E, and K
- 42nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, C, D, and H
- 53rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 58th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 65th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 115th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company G
- 117th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (6 months, 1863-4), Company F
- 120th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 136th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company I
- 28th US Colored Troops, Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Military History" Chapter 7 in History of Warrick, Spencer and Perry Counties, Indiana, from the earliest time to the present; together with interesting biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. (1973. Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.), (page 373-418, Regiment, Company), FHL US/CAN Film 934922 Item 4 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
Naturalization and Citizenship
Spencer County Courthouse
200 Main Street
Rockport, IN 47635-1478
County Health Department has birth records from 1882
and death records from 1830. Cemetery trustees have burial records.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1818,
divorce and court records1883,
probate records from 1848 and naturalization records 1852-1929.
County Recorder has land records. 
Family History Centers
- Directory of Teachers for Spencer County (1936) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992-FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959-FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
Spencer County, Indiana Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Spencer County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Spencer County, Indiana 216 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
|This Indiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.