St. Bartholomews Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Also known as St. Bartholomew's Ashepoo in Edmundsbury (now Ashepoo). After moving to Pon Pon (now Jacksonboro) in 1725 it was also called the St. Bartholomew's Pon Pon Chapel of Ease, or the Old Burnt Church.
Before the American Revolution, the state church of South Carolina was the Church of England (also called the Anglican Church, and later the Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were also used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
St. Bartholomew's Parish was created as an original parish in 1706 from the southwest side of Colleton County. The original parish church was planned for Edmundsbury (now Ashepoo) until the Yemassee Indian War of 1715. In 1725 a new parish building was authorized in Pon Pon (now Jacksonboro) on the Fort Moore-Charleston Trail and was called the Pon Pon Chapel of Ease.
- Borders Prince William, St. George, St. Helena's Parish, St. John's Colleton, St. Matthew's Parish, and St. Paul's parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina. An overlay of districts is available at Carolana.com.
St. Bartholomew's Parish has served Charleston and Colleton counties, South Carolina. It also served residents of historic Charleston and Colleton districts. Edmundsbury (a.k.a. Ashepoo Chapel) and Pon Pon Chapel served parishioners as chapels of ease.
- 1706-1715 Edmundsbury (Ashepoo) plans to build a church dropped because of an Indian War
- 1725 Pon Pon (Jacksonboro) new wooden building authorized
- 1753 Pon Pon new brick building ordered
- 1754 Pon Pon brick building finished
- 1785 Edmundsbury brick church built
- 1786 Edmundsbury brick church declared unfit for use
- 1801 Pon Pon church burnt, an thereafter called the "Burnt Church"
- 1810 Edmundsbury brick church falls in ruins
- 1819 Edmundsbury new brick chapel built
- 1852 Edmundsbury chapel burnt
- 1854 Edmundsbury chapel rebuilt
- 1865 Edmundsbury chapel wrecked by Union troops
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide: St. Bartholomew's County, available online, courtesy: South Carolina Department of Archives and History.
- Mott, Beverly K. 1790 Census for St. Bartholomews Parish, Charleston District, South Carolina, available online, courtesy: SCGenWeb.
- Jarrell, Lawrence E. Early Colleton, South Carolina Census. Complete Transcription of the Federal Census Records; 1790 Charleston District Census, St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester; St. Paul's and St. John's-Colleton Parishes; 1800 Colleton District Census--St. Bartholomew's, St. George's-Dorchester and St. Paul's Parishes; 1810 Colleton District Census. High Point, N.C.: Alligator Creek Genealogy Publications, 1998. FHL Book 975.79 X2j
For an early history of the parish, see Chapter 21, St. Bartholomew's Parish, pages 366-374, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Geiger, Florence Gambrill. "St. Bartholomew's Parish as Seen by Its Rectors, 1713-1761," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 4 (Oct. 1949):173-203. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
For a more modern history filled with illustrations, see:
- Plantations of St. Bartholomew's Parish. Publisher's bookstore.
In the 1950s, the records of St. Bartholomew's Parish and Edmundbury Chapel were kept at the Bishop's office in St. Philip's Church, Charleston. St. Bartholomew's records include a history, minutes, and reports of various organizations. St. Bartholomew's copies: FHL Film 22741 Item 6; Edmundbury copies: FHL Film 22741 Item 5.
- Fripp, William Henry. "Minutes of the Vestry, St. Bartholomew's Parish, 1822-1840," The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 2 (Apr. 1944):65-70; Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul. 1944):157-171; Vol. 45, No. 4 (Oct. 1944):217-221; Vol. 51, No. 1 (Jan. 1950):10-23; Vol. 51, No. 2 (Apr. 1950):78-96; Vol. 51, No. 3 (Jul. 1950):145-163; Vol. 51, No. 4 (Oct. 1950):229-242. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
-  "1783 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Fall 1974):171-178. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 2
-  "1784 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Summer 1975):178-182. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 3
-  St. Bartholomew's Parish Tax Returns, 1785, The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Summer 1977).
-  "1786 Tax Returns," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Winter 1982):18-24; Vol. 10, No. 3 (Summer 1982):154-157. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 10
- Colleton County, South Carolina Early History, courtesy: SCGenWeb.
- Edmundsbury Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.
- ↑ "Colleton County, South CarolinafckLREarly History" in Colleton County SCGenWeb at http://www.oldplaces.org/colleton/colhistory.html (accessed 23 May 2011).
- ↑ David M. Bryan, "Charleston Lady to Frontier Widow .. and Back!: The Saga of Elizabeth Chalmers Raysor," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 37, No. 4 (Fall 2009):188. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 37
- ↑ Edmundsbury; Pon Pon Chapel; Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease, St. Bartholomew's Parish, all part of The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 "Edmundsbury" in The Historical Marker Database at http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=7923 (23 May 2011.)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 "Pon Pon Chapel" in The Historical Marker Database at http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=7073 (23 May 2011.)