St. Catherine's Civil Parish, County Dublin

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(hyperlink)
(Parish description edited and hyperlink added.)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
=== History<br> ===
 
=== History<br> ===
  
St. Catherine's anciently formed part of the parish of St. James, but was separated from it by an act of parliament in 1710. It contains 23,237 inhabitants, and 1264 houses of the value of £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £31,921. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Earl of Meath; the minister's money amounts to £395. 3. 10. The church, which had been a chapel to St. Thomas the Martyr, was rebuilt in its present form in 1769: it is situated oh the south side of Thomas-street, and is built of mountain granite, in the Doric style: four semi-columns, with their entablature, enriched by triglyphs, support a noble pediment in the centre, and on each side the entablature is continued the entire length, and supported at each extremity by coupled pilasters: above the entablature, at each side of the pediment, is a stone balustrade. Between the centre columns is a handsome Ionic arched door, and the other intermediate spaces are occupied by a double range of windows. The interior is elegantly simple: eight Ionic columns support the galleries, above which the same number of Corinthian pilasters rise to the roof. At the west end of the building is an unfinished belfry. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners have granted £126 for its repair. In the interior is a tablet to the memory of Dr. Whitelaw, the historian of Dublin, who was 25 years vicar of this parish, and died in 1813; and another to that of William Mylne, engineer, who constructed the waterworks of Dublin: underneath is the family vault of the Earl of Meath. A free Episcopal church has been opened in Swift's-alley, in a building purchased from the Baptist society in 1835, and consecrated by the archbishop: it is under the management of eight trustees, one-half of whom must be clergymen of the Established Church. Another is in progress at Harold Cross, in this parish. There are a parochial boarding school for girls, a parochial day school for boys and girls, a school on Erasmus Smith's foundation, three national schools, an evening school, an infants' school, and two Sunday schools. There are two almshouses for widows, one supported by the parish and the other by a member of the La Touche family. <ref name="Lewis' - Ireland">[http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/D/St-Catherines-Parish-Dublin.php Samuel Lewis.&amp;nbsp; A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.] &lt;br&gt;</ref>&nbsp;
+
St. Catherine's anciently formed part of the parish of St. James, but was separated from it by an act of parliament in 1710. It contains 23,237 inhabitants, and 1264 houses of the value of £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £31,921. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Earl of Meath; the minister's money amounts to £395. 3. 10. The church, which had been a chapel to St. Thomas the Martyr, was rebuilt in its present form in 1769.&nbsp; For more information, go to [http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/D/St-Catherines-Parish-Dublin.php www.libraryireland.com].
  
 
=== Localities<br> ===
 
=== Localities<br> ===

Revision as of 21:03, 6 November 2012

Ireland Gotoarrow.png County Dublin Gotoarrow.png St. Catherine's Civil Parish

The following information is a starting point for records about the civil parish of St. Catherine's. The information is based on locations and records before 1922.

Contents

Historical Overview

History

St. Catherine's anciently formed part of the parish of St. James, but was separated from it by an act of parliament in 1710. It contains 23,237 inhabitants, and 1264 houses of the value of £5 and upwards, the total annual value being £31,921. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Earl of Meath; the minister's money amounts to £395. 3. 10. The church, which had been a chapel to St. Thomas the Martyr, was rebuilt in its present form in 1769.  For more information, go to www.libraryireland.com.

Localities

List the names of townlands in this civil parish List the names of the surrounding parishes List the names and give a description of a district, poor law union, etc.

Maps and gazetteers

Add a Web site link for a map or gazetteer site, and/or add a printed source. Read more about maps and gazetteers.

Records

Cemeteries

Add references to indexes to gravestones or monumental inscriptions.

Census

The purpose of a census was to gather information about people who lived in an area. While the government began census taking in 1821, only fragments exist before 1901. Censuses for 1901 and 1911 are available. Read more about the records in the Ireland Census article.

Add information here about census substitutes that you know about.

Church records

Read general information about church records.

Catholic

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Church of Ireland

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Presbyterian

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Methodist

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Society of Friends

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Others

Name(s) of ecclesiastical parish, records, availability, archive, online indexes, notes.

Civil Registration

Government registration of births and deaths began in 1864. Registration of Protestant marriages began in 1845, with all marriages being registered by 1864. Go to the Ireland Civil Registration article to read more about these records.

Land records

The Registry of Deeds started in 1708. Land transactions were recorded, including immovable property passed on in a will and property given to a daughter at her marriage. Read more about these records in the Ireland Land and Property article.

Probate records

Probate dealt with the property of a deceased person. Read more about these records in the Ireland Probate Records article.

Add information about probate records for this parish.

School records

Read more about these records in the Ireland Schools article. Add records for this parish.

Tax records

The valuation of property for tax purposes was started in the 1840s by Richard Griffith. A tax paid to the church, call Tithe Applotments, began in the 1820s. Read about these records in the Ireland Taxation and Ireland Land and Property articles. Add records for this parish that you know about.

Web Sites

Add a site for this civil parish.

Further Reading

Add sources here.