St. James Goose Creek Parish, South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
South Carolina's "Anglican parishes were used as election districts and had responsibility for road development, care of the poor, and education."
- Borders Christ Church, St. Andrew's, St. George, St. Johns Berkeley, St. Matthew's, St. Michael's, St. Philip's, St. Thomas & St. Denis parishes. For a map, see: Early parishes in South Carolina.
For a history of the parish, see Chapter 5, St. James' Parish, Goose-Creek, pages 244-263, in:
- Dalcho, Frederick. An Historical Account of the Protestant Episcopal Church in South Carolina from the First Settlement of the Province, to the War of the Revolution; with Notices of the Present State of the Church in Each Parish and Some Account of the Early Civil History of Carolina, Never Before Published. Charleston: E. Thayer, 1820. FHL Film 22657; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
For a history of the area, see:
- Heitzler, Michael J. Goose Creek: A Definitive History. 2 vols. Charleston, S.C.: The History Press, 2005-2006. FHL Books 975.793/G1 H2h v. 1 and v. 2
A partial 1745 tax return for St. James' Goose Creek Parish survives. It is kept in the Archive of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (London), Reference C/AM/7.149. The tax return is analyzed in:
- Morgan, Philip D. "A Profile of Mid-Eighteenth Century South Carolina Parish: The Tax Return of Saint James', Goose Creek," The South Carolina Historical Magazine, Vol. 81, No. 1 (Jan. 1980):51-65. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Goose Creek Church Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. James, Goose Creek Marker, The Historical Marker Database
- St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church, The Historical Marker Database
- ↑ St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church, The Historical Marker Database, accessed 17 February 2011.
- ↑ "The Formation of Counties in South Carolina," at the South Carolina Department of Archives and History website, accessed 21 January 2011.